1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BitTorrent Links

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Couriant, Jul 10, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    James
    A question came to me which I don't know the legality of it.

Would it be deemed illegal for a site to have links to illegal* .torrent files? I mean the file itself is the the full file, it's just a tracker to say who has that file, or at least I think it does, if not then connects to something that does. But that aside, is it illegal to have the .torrent links on a site?

* illegal as in copyrighted stuff... games, movies, music etc.

2. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

They are battleing this question out in the courts right now. You have heard of PirateBay and ISOHunt right? Right now there are legal battles going on between them and the RIAA and the MPAA.

3. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    I know of ThePirateBay lawsuit, because they posted it on thier website (though somehow I don't believe that they are using the same language in their replies as they put down on the their site :D)

OK, well I guess it will depend on the tracker and how it works... any clues?

4. Pistoff

Pistoff

Hello all,
    I have mixed feelings on this matter. TSG has this at http://forums.techguy.org/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_faq_p2p
    Don't ruffle feathers quite yet - I DO see and understand both sides. Why can't CD/RW and DVD/RW mfgs. simply add more charges to the purchases of these recordable medias and distribute the monies across the board (or at least the highest 'hitting' downloaded program, song, app, etc..)? They know what we are doing with it anyway..
    Just sounding off on my soapbox as usual! :p
    -pist-

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Not everyone is doing that.
    Some of us make back ups...
    I have 3d models, textures, old programs I wrote, pictures, home footage, etc. on writeable/RW disks.
    Another great use is streamlined OS Install disks for XP.
    I don't want to pay those Punks at Sony for My stuff, my creativity, they make plenty of money...

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    I think that link needs to be re-worded because in the rules it says we can talk about it, just not giving help for it.

Why would you be paying money to SONY? :confused:

As to the other stuff, that's fine, though I think Microsoft wouldn't be too happy to see their Windows XP on Bearshare / Torrent etc. slipstreamed or no. (I will need to check their T&Cs actually...)

7. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

No Microsoft wouldn't be happy if I slipstreamed XP and started handing it out. Its great for me though. I can have a disk for my NForce 4 board, a disk for my 2500+ system, one for my P3 system, all with their legal keys already on the disk.

As for paying Sony, it was an example.
    Like I said for my legal uses (Personal, legal uses) I don't want to pay extra money to companies like Sony, or anyother company who like to fight the legality battles every chance they get.

8. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
  9. saltydawgs

saltydawgs Account Closed

wasnt piratebay raided by the FBI

lol, then piratebay users had a huge riot

10. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

11. Couriant

First Name:
    James
  12. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Custom Codec I would guess...

13. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Would make sense... prehaps with custom player that only the file works on?

14. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Yeah, it could be sone. Each file could require some kind of activation.

I guess we just have to keep our ears open.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice