1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bizarre crashes.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Matango, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matango

Matango Thread Starter

Okay..long story for this one. My HD recently went bad, and I had to get a new one. It installed fine. Except for something with my sound. There were two devices which were missing drivers; Microsoft GS Wavetale Synthesizer, and Microsoft DLS synthesizer. After dealing with MS tech support (a mistake) the devices no longer show up in the device manager, BUT I'm still getting the crashes. Specifically, whenever I try to play Morrowind or the PainKiller single player demo, I randomly crash to a black screen, sometimes with a very fast sound loop playing in the background. This did not happen before I got the new HD. Also, the sound in the opening sequence of Morrowind skips to a regular rythm. NeverWinterNights (which came out after Morrowind) works fine.

Now, I've tried moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, using a different card entirely (in both slots, again) reinstalling the drivers, etc, etc. There are no IRQ conflicts, the on-board sound on my mobo is off, the drivers are up to date, and everything works fine EXCEPT for those two instances, and probably more that I"m not yet aware of. The only way I can get any error message at all is by pressing a button on my monitor that switches from landscape to portrait view. It goes back to landscape, and pops up with plain white text on a black screen "1: Analog input".

System info: Windows XP Home edition, SB Audigy LZ, 640MB of RAM, Nvidia Geforce Ti 4200, AMD Athlon 1800XP.

2. bsop

bsop

Did you try looking for game updates?
    That is the first place I would try to check.
    I had the same driver errors while trying to install a SB Value.
    I simply deleted the 2 entries and rebooted. It took several times repeating the process for the drivers to install properly and no errors show up.

3. Matango

Matango Thread Starter

I've tried the game with all updates, no updates, some updates..doesn't matter. Also, as I said, it didn't happen *before* I got the new HD, so I don't see how it could be the game itself. As far as reinstalling drivers..I've done that numerous times, and it hasn't worked. When you say deleting the entries..deleting the entries from what, exactly?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!