1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bizarre Hardware Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maracles, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Yesterday I was using my computer and everything appeared to be fine. I had just finished playing a game (using an averagely powerful graphics card (ati x850 gto). I then used my nokia phone software to update synchronise my phone with outlook. However I then had trouble closing outlook.

I tried 3 times and in the end decided to turn off my computer (in the proper way) which i did, however...

... it never turned back on :-(

I have absolutely no idea what it may be, although I was using my computer on a very hot day and have considered the problem to be a overheated component.

I have tried turning on w/ graphics and sound card removed; with a different psu; and I also attempted to turn on the comp using another hard drive however I got nothing on screen, not even bios.

Does this mean the problem is motherboard and/or processor? Is there anyway to detemine this?

Thanks for any help.

Maracles

2. pfiltz

pfiltz

Is the power supply running?

3. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

As pfiltz asks: any lights, beeps, fan activity?

Have you checked the obvious stuff like the power outlet / PSU cable / fuses etc?

Very difficult to diagnose motherboard or CPU problems without spare parts to swap over.
    More often than not it would be the motherboard, statistically.

You can remove the heatsink from your processor and check it for any discolouration or burn marks (might want to check the underside of the CPU itself too).
    Also lack of thermal compound can be a good indicator.

Other than that.... try a strip-down and reconnect of the components and connections.

4. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

The psu is still running, as is the fan. I've quite annoyingly had to leave my comp for a week as i'm away so i'll have to do all the extra checking when I get back, i will write a new thread later if I still have problems, thanks for the replies though.

Maracles

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice