1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bizarre power issue...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jak133, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jak133

Jak133 Thread Starter

OK. So my computer will no power on inside my house specifically. It turns on fine at best buy or even in my neighbor's house, but not at my house. Yes I am using a surge protector. Yes I tested all the outlets in the house. Yes I checked my outlets with a volt/ohm meter. Everything seems to check out and all my other devices work perfectly. Before I moved to this house the computer worked well in my old apartment for months. Also, I have already rellaced the psu and the cmos battery, and yes I have still only been able to power it on using outlets in other buildings besides my house. Any ideas? I am getting so frustrated.

2. trogdo

trogdo

A faulty earth/ground perhaps? Get a socket tester, you can pick one up for about $10. Even if that isn't the fault (which it probably is), it's a handy tool to have in your toolbox.

3. Jak133

Jak133 Thread Starter

It isnt the ground. I tested that right away. I am not exactly a novice at this stuff, and this really has me stumped. New info: so now it will turn on periodically on certain outlets with no discernable pattern. Sometimes it works in the foyer. Sometimes it works in the back yard. Sometimes it works in the kitchen. No outlet is consistently reliable. However, it continues to power on without incidence at the neighbors house, at Best Buy and anywhere that is not here. What the hell is happening? The outlets all test fine, both ground and voltage. I have tried unplugging other devices on the same circuit, no effect. What could possibly be making this happen? I am %100 that it isn't a hardware issue. I even replaced my PSU and my CMOS battery. Totally lost on this.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Do other things like a power drill or an electric fire work in your outlets?

5. trogdo

trogdo

I still, perhaps out of stubborness, think there is a fault with earth, might be a live leak into ground somewhere. You unplugged everything on a curcuit, but did you kill all other circuits? A leak in one circuit can affect another. Break all but one circuit and unplug everything on the live one and see if the PC works.

Another thing to consider is whether your surge protector is faulty?

6. Jak133

Jak133 Thread Starter

surge protector isn't the problem, as I have tried several different ones. Power drills, tvs, game systems, electric fireplace, etc all work fine. Haven't tried breaking all the other circuits. Will give that a shot and let you know. So, if there is a fault with earth and a live leak to ground as you say, would the outlets still test that the ground is fine?

7. trogdo

trogdo

I don't have vast experience with leaks, but earth at my place of employment (an old building with plenty of DIY wiring) puts out a minimum of 9 volts, but the socket tester states that everything is fine. We live with it as no equipment seems to mind.

8. Jak133

Jak133 Thread Starter

So my question is then, if it is the earth, what do I do to fix it? I attempted to isolate one circuit, turned off the breakers for all the other circuits, made sure that only the computer was plugged in, and I am still not getting power. I tried this on three separate circuits. Brought the comp to my neighbors again just to make sure it is still working with other people's outlets, and it still is. I am totally confused. This just keeps getting more frustrating.

9. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

There's a problem with the electricity in your house. The earth is still round and spinning. Your computer is fine everywhere else in the world but your house.

Did you call an electrician?

10. trogdo

trogdo

I can't think of a further way to diagnose this problem. Tony is right, it's time to get a sparky in; we'll soon reach the line where it is unsafe to follow online advice.

Do let us know when it is solved, it's a most peculiar one.

11. Jak133

Jak133 Thread Starter

I have called an electrician, but they want at least $50 just to look at it, and they can't figure any good idea about what it might be just by me describing the problem. Guess I will just have to shell out the cash and see what they come up with. Thanks for the help, guys. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice