1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bizarre total system crash.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by abedds, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abedds

abedds Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3891 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 295335 MB, Free - 219428 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 2537C84
    Antivirus: ThreatTrack Security VIPRE, Updated and Enabled

I should note that my Lenovo had its battery in and power cable connected. It was also hooked up to a wireless logitec keyboard, a usb cable mouse, and monitor via an old multi-pin hdmi cable at the time of the problem.

Hello, a few hours ago my laptop suddenly froze and started behaving in a way that I've never seen before and I believe something has compromised my security.
    Before the incident I was working on Microsoft Word 2013, had google chrome with 3 open tabs, (which consisted of 2 Rutgers University links and this link that had 3 streaming music playlists for studying. http://www.300hours.com/blog/6-quick-fixes-to-stay-focused-even-when-youre-tired#.VQ94y_nF-VU ), and was running a system scan on my antivirus.

I then started up OriginPro9.1 which is a data analysis and graphing software. As soon as I clicked on it the CPU/RAM monitoring widget I have on my desktop spiked its CPU usage to over 50% and even hit 100% multiple times (which is far more than it has ever gone up in the past, even with chrome, word, and origin open simultaneously). It continued to fluctuate between 1% and 100%
    Then I couldnt exit out of any programs and the screen eventually turned completely black except that I could still control my mouse pointer. I tried to force quit but nothing happened. Then after a few minutes I got a popup on the black screen that said something about a logon error and that i should hit [esc] or turn the laptop off manually if [esc] didnt work.
    Eventually some grey desktop background appeared, along with my taskbar and CPU meter. I still had no control of the system. Lastly, my own desktop background reappeared only without the taskbar. I waited some more and then the process started repeating itself in the exact manner I just described. After I sat through 2 complete cycles of that, I shut off the laptop and booted up again. I would have shut off the laptop much sooner but i didnt want to lose my word document that I had yet to save.

Strangely, throughout the entire duration of the crash, the music i was streaming never stopped playing as well as the CPU meter continued giving live data.

Ever since I rebooted, having as little as a single tab on chrome open spikes the CPU usage over 35% along with my RAM consumption periodically increasing from 40% to 65% and is still rising... I've run several full system scans with my internet security/antivirus program that I just payed $50 for a couple weeks ago and no threats come up.

I'm at a complete loss about what happened and what I should do, and I really need some help. Thank you.

2. abedds

abedds Thread Starter

3. abedds

abedds Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice