1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bizarre Video Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boysdontcry, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boysdontcry

boysdontcry Thread Starter

Ok. This one's a longshot, but I'm hoping that someone will be able to offer some ideas on what the answer to my problem is.

I have a problem with my computer where the video will go completely. If I loosen the screws on the front panel of the box and move the box around, I can get the video to come up. If I change the angle of the box at all, it goes out again.

I actually managed to get the video to work consistently with the box sitting up normally for a while, but when I decided to put the box together again, I lost video again.

It's not the video card. I've tried two seperate video cards, and they both had the same problem.

It's not the monitor. I've hooked the monitor up to my laptop and it works fine.

I'm betting that it's a short somewhere, or a loose wire, or something like that. I've looked over everything, and I can't see what's going on.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

2. deuce

deuce

Is this a PCI vid card?... do other PCI devices work fine?

3. Cosmoe

Cosmoe

1. motherboard touching case(like under bottom of motherboard)
    2. faulty slot your vid card is in, try a dif one
    3. um a little man inside your computer is playing tricks on you

really it shouldnt be that hard to fix since it does actually come on, you just gotta put more effort in to finding that loose wire/slot/ic/board/whatever just keep on messin with it.
    im sure you can handle it solo

gl

4. boysdontcry

boysdontcry Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. It's a PCI card, and yes. Other PCI devices work fine. I don't think it's a bad slot, because I've tried two different video cards in several different slots, and I have the same problem.

I've also tried jiggling all the wires and it doesn't do anything. It doesn't look like the motherboard is touching the case, but I guess I'll have to investigate more. Maybe tonight I'll take everything out of the case and put it back in one thing at a time to try and track down the problem...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice