1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bizzare HPLJ6L print problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Demosthenes, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Thread Starter

I just downloaded HP's win2k driver for the LaserJet 6L. I then went into the printers folder, clicked add printer, and went through the wizard using the new driver. Then, I opened the add new hardware list, and then computer recognized my printer as a plug and play device, reporting it as having been installed.

So I reboot and try to print, and am rewarded with a 4 character string of wingdings. The computer recognizes the printer, the printer is connected properly (the issue has occured trying 2 different cables) and the driver is listed as compatible with my OS. What's left to be a problem?

Oh yeah - I'm running Windows 2000 with service packs 1-3.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

2. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

That would mean u have the wrong driver

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

first- you need to update win2k to service pack 4. go to the windows update site for that.
    after you're done with that- tell me this- did you have your printer hooked up when you updated the driver? i think it should be unhooked from the computer.
    what does it tell you about the printer and port for it in the device manager?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The driver you download should be an .EXE that you need to run and it will install the driver. You should not have to run the Add/New hardware wizard.

Go to Printers in Control Panel and remove all printers and then try the Installer again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice