1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black 1" gap on both sides of my screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by outatime, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. outatime

outatime Thread Starter

I have tried searching everywhere and trying everything that I have found and nothing works.

I am running windows xp on an older packard bell monitor. I'm not even sure what size it is maybe a 14" or 13"? On packard bells website they don't have a driver for this monitor. I tried to install a generic driver for 640x480 and that doesn't work. The screen resolution is set on 800x600 and if you put it on anything higher the screen gets all fuzzy. So two question. How do I fix this and how do I figure out what size my monitor is?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am going to assume that you are talking about a CRT monitor as compared to an LCD monitor. When your are running at 800x600 and get the black gaps on both sides, does it look like the whole screen is just too narrow or are you missing parts of the desktop area on both sides? Does the monitor have any type of adjustment knobs or on screen menus and adjustment buttons?

3. outatime

outatime Thread Starter

You are correct it's a CRT monitor. This monitor is at least years old and maybe older. It does look like the whole screen is too narrow. There is an adjustment knob on the front of the monitor for horizontal but nothing for vertical.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    When you say "too narrow", my interpretation is that the picture is tall and a bit skinny, with the black gaps on the left and right sides of the screen. In that case, a horizontal size control should be able to expand the size left to right.

Is there any kind of Packard Bell label on the monitor that lists a model number or part numberr?

5. erkansus

erkansus

ohhh ive had this problem before ok find the latest drivers for your video card install these if its an ati card it should come with ati catalyst in catalyst theres a controll under monitor that has 4 setting which are full screen (normal) sides (what u have) corners (just the corners) and boxed (all around a 1"border)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice