1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black bars on laptop display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xfilesgurly, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly Thread Starter

Three or four times now (and all in the past week) my second-user Compaq Armada (had it for 8 months ish, but it's fairly old - P2 233mhz) has booted up with inch-thick vertical black bars covering part of the screen (through the Compaq logo thing, the Windows loading screens, the AVG boot-up scanner and it's still there on the desktop) tilting the screen forward slightly fixes it straight away. It then looks perfectly fine - colours etc are correct and sharp all over the display.

There's a rattle and the feeling that something's falling inside the lid every time it's opened and that's been happing for about 2 months now and I haven't worried about it too much until now and I don't know if it's connected, and everything apart from the dodgy display on start-up (not *every* time and not always coming in *exactly* the same places, and not always from the beginning or lasting right until the desktop) the system is running fine.

The laptop has never been dropped or anything (while I've owned it anyway) and is always stored lid-up, with nothing stacked on it, on a flat surface in a laptop carry bag when not in use.

So... anybody got any idea what's happening? My screen isn't about to die any second is it?

Thanks in advance,

Kat

2. RandyG

RandyG

Laptop screens are connected to the motherboard vis a ribbon cable. It's possible that this is loose, or cracked, as tilting the screen fixes the problem.

If you are handy enough around taking apart a laptop, then it is an easy enough operation to open it up and check for yourself, however it is very easy to do damage to the case, and componenets if you are unsure of yourself.

Take it to a repair shop, or if you are willing to muck around with it, provide Exact specifications of the laptop, and a serial number if it is still there. That will make is easier to find technical docs that can help.

Where can I find the serial number on my Compaq Computer?

3. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm gonna take it to be looked at as soon as I can. If it was a similar problem in a desktop PC, I'd check it myself, but I've never opened a laptop case before and I'm not feeling brave!:)

Kat

4. RandyG

RandyG

Fair enough, and good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is only a loose connection.
    :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/86673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice