1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black bars on left and right hand side of monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goboom, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goboom

goboom Thread Starter

ive had my comp for about 2 years now (with the same monitor) and recently i noticed my screen.. shrink.. lol... i just went to my monitors settings and streched it out.. no problem.. maybe 2 days later.. it shrank again.. this time leaving 2 black bars on the left and right side of my screen as what its receiving (i can make it so i can shrink what windows is displaying and i can still see to lighter black bars to the left and right side then what is completely black from what the monitor is blanking out) so i figure its a video card problem (radeon 9200 pci), my windows xp is messing up, or my monitors messed up.. help

2. Cosmic

Cosmic

Same old solution first.

Swap the monitor to another computer system and see if the problem follows.

If it does, usually pretty serious repair. Generally a component going bad. It can be retrace, blanking, deflection or video amp related. Probably a new monitor in your future. Your description of how it happened tends to go in this direction. It once worked, duh, now it don't and I didn't do nothing.

If the problem seems to clear up or be better on another computer, try adjusting something in software that will relate to video timing, like blanking period, horizontal position, sync.

Plus you can try changing out the video card, it may not be quite compatible.

And yes, do the old stand by, degauss and give it a few smacks, anything is possible. :D

3. Doomsday123

Doomsday123

I would say your monitor has gone bad. I have heard of screens shrinking right before the monitor goes bad but have never experienced it first hand. I would try what Cosmic said but if that doesnt work, kick it a few times :D Sometimes you need to show the computer who is boss before it will work as your slave. :D

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

4. Cosmic

Cosmic

Kicking probably is very bad, as is dropping and various other rough play. A lot of these monitor problems do relate to domestic monitor abuse.

The interesting thing is when TV's finally went to all solid state the idea was once pass the typical burn period for solid state components the thing that should be the failing component should be the CRT itself. Today a CRT is maybe good for 30,000-50,000 hours of life. The funny thing is many monitors fail long before then and most of the causes probably don't have anything to do with the CRT.

One good practice is to turn off the monitor if not using it. (Some with argue with that). My theory being, it can't age if not powered, the down side is more thermal cycles. So far it has worked for me, they seem to be able to absorb a lot of cycles. The other is give it TLC in both handling and use. I never had a monitor completely fail ever. Got one going a little gimpy but I could probably fix it if I really had too, basically mine are either given away, torn apart before being junked or put in storage as back ups.

The big things that will kill them quick are vibration, heat, bad power and trying to operate outside their rated scan rates. Tough love might work with some ladies, a few kids, even fewer dogs but probably not recommended for most monitors. :D

They like their TLC. A few gentle slaps if they need to tell you where it hurts. I don't like putting them directly on a desk, especially metal. I build little wooden platforms for them and the feet are either rubber or cloth lined. Gets the monitor at the exact right height and gives it additional isolation. Plus I always use a heavy wooden desk than I build special for each system. If the computer system vibration can get to the monitor it can have a quite short life. Put your hand on the computer, should feel vibration. Touch the desk, shouldn't feel any being transmitted to the desk or the monitor in a good setup.

5. Doomsday123

Doomsday123

My last monitor was about 8mo-1yr old and one day i was sitting there surfing the web and then i heard a loud pop and then smoke started pouring out the back of the moniter. Dont know what it was but it was awsome ! exept for the whole fact that i had to replace it lol. Dont know much about the inside of a monitor but if i had to guess i would say it was the picture tub. just my 2 cents hehe. Good luck :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/250497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice