1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black bars on sides of screen. HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Clueless90, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Clueless90

Clueless90 Thread Starter

Hello,
    For months now i have 2 black bars on the sides of my laptop. I have a Hp laptop. I have searched on the internet, but none of the answers worked, my resolution is at its maximum.
    I do have a Hp application and driver recovery dvd, but i dont want to try things out because i dont want to lose my files.

I hope someone can help me!! :(

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

It is probably due to an incompatibility with the display settings vs what is expected by the hardware. What is the model number for the laptop?

3. Clueless90

Oh, can I fix that?
    I have a HP 550

4. Oily

Oily

Have you your desktop wallpaper set to center instead of stretch/fill.

5. Clueless90

@Oily: tried it, but it didnt work :(

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

I found a datasheet for the HP 550 that shows the expected screen resoulution is 1280 X 800 pixels: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/550.pdf

Try adjusting your screen resolution to 1280 X 800 (I haven't used Vista, but on Windows 7 you right click on the desktop, then click Personalize, then the Display link, then Display Resolution).

7. Clueless90

I tried it.. but the only resolutions i can pick is 1024x768 or 800x600, i can only choose from these 2.
    :(

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

I suspect you don't have the correct graphics drivers installed. If you right click Computer on the desktop, then Manage, then Device Manager, do you see any yellow ? or X devices? And does Device Manager show a display adapter under Display adapters (what does it show there)?

9. Clueless90

Yes it does! under device adapters i see 2 'yellow' items:
    the first one: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    the second one is exact the same.

10. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

I don't see driver options for a 550 with Intel graphics... but they may be there. HP's website sucks and they have multiple models of hardware with model 550, so it may be hidden.

I would go to this website: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html and click Drivers and Software, then Detect Your Product, and follow the instructions from there. If graphics drivers download successfully, then try 1280 X 800 resolution.

11. Clueless90

It worked!! Thank you sooo much Frank4d, you're great!!

12. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

I am glad it worked! (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001756