1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black dotr amd black smear on monitor screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gotemba, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gotemba

Gotemba Thread Starter

A black dot 1" in diameter and some black smears have appeared on the bottom right corner of my screen. I believe whatever page I have up is ok behind it. And I think it is getting bigger. Monitor is a Dell 19 " Analog Flat Panel. Maybe it is finished.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Some LCD screens are subject to image persistance, similar to CRT screen burn in. If you have icons, windows, or images (including your wallpaper) in that area which are predominately (100%) red, green or blue, that could be your problem.

If that is your problem, it can be fixed. One way is to select "Marquee" as your screensaver and set the screensaver background color to white. Temporarily disable power saving mode for your monitor so it stays on and run the screensaver for several hours. See if the dot and smears go away.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think the description is a bit more than screen burn. :) I'm guessing the monitor is a goner!

4. Gotemba

Gotemba Thread Starter

I'll try that. Thanks

5. Gotemba

Gotemba Thread Starter

Tried the screensaver with white background, still the same

6. Gotemba

Gotemba Thread Starter

Monitor is shot. Dell has replaced it. Solved

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Color me surprised. ;) I didn't think from that description the damage was going to be recoverable. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/598032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice