1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black monitor

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kathiez, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kathiez

kathiez Thread Starter

My parents have windows 98. The computer monitor suddently went black. My mom said it had said to check the sign on connection. That is all.

It does not say that anymore, it is just black.

I brought her computer to my house and plugged it all in and my monitor would not come on so I assume that it is not her monitor that is not working.
    Could it be the video card? what can we do now???
    My parents are desperate to have the computer up and running again. :(

My monitor is working now that I have disconnected it from their computer.

Thank you for any advice.

-Kathie

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if the computer was moved, the video card may be unseated or the card may have failed.

either way, someone needs to take the case off when the machine is off and unplugged, take the card out and put back in the slot, plug the computer in with the cable atached to the connector on the card, turn it on and see if it has a display.

if not, try the same procedure with the card in another slot.

if that doesn't work the card probably died.

3. Aur0ra

Aur0ra

VIDEO CARD:
    alright, if they have a video card, yes it'll be that. Try using the mother boards monitor jack.

NO VIDEO CARD:
    The mother board has an problem with it, probably got to hot and singed some circuits. Which caused the output to fail.

Questions:
    Does your monitor have an idle screen on it? Something like "Monitor not in use, self test." B/c it'd be interesting to see if that came up when you plugged it into the PC. If so, then on of my above theories is correct. If no idle screen came up and you normally have one, then either the mother board is jacked, or A+ programming is corrupted and damaged somehow. It might be a good idea to go buy a very cheap but working video card and to try that.

4. gyrgrls

gyrgrls Banned

Unplug (unseat) the modem, if it isn't built into the mother board.
    Then see if it boots, or at least POSTS.

It sounds like the modem went south, and is causing a PCI BUS-associated failure.

Of course, it would help if we knew the specifics on the machine
    (brand, model number, etc...)

5. kathiez

kathiez Thread Starter

I opened the computer. This is very new to me! where do I find the brand, model, number etc. There are numbers everywhere.

6. gyrgrls

gyrgrls Banned

Oh, no!

Careful. If you're not sure what you are looking at, don't poke around in there.
    Unless it's home built, the make and model are on a sticker or plate either on the
    back or the bottom of the tower case.

The modem is easy enough to spot; it's the card with the phone jack(s) on it.

Most Dell, IBM, Gateway or eMachines have the model right on the front escutcheon.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/479931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice