1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen after boot screen, no welcome screen, no logon screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eoes5991, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eoes5991

eoes5991 Thread Starter

Hey I need immediate help!

It's my sis' previously-formatted HP Pavilion dv5201tx! The problem is as the title above. I can go into safe mode. I've used system restore twice. And in Documents and Settings folder I noticed it has:

Administrator
    Administrator.computer description name
    Administrator.computer description name.000
    username1
    username2

Is it creating more user folders? At some point Administrator.computer description name.000 wasn't there. Corrupted registry hive? I'm not sure! Restarted many times, used Last known good configuration, and it's still black after the boot screen. Please help quick, she uses it a lot. Thank anybody so much..

2. Sponsor

3. eoes5991

eoes5991 Thread Starter

oh my.. there's no reply.. nvm.. can the moderator lock/ close this thread? no need help anymore.. sigh.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I will close the thread if you feel you need no further help.

System Restore does not restore many User Profile related issues -- and if you chose the built-in Admin account you booted to an account you don't normally use, so it may have been a corrupt profile.

The files with .000 after them may have been created by chkdsk, have you run that?

Possible drive corruption should be considered.

5. eoes5991

eoes5991 Thread Starter

oh, i see..

Didn't try chkdsk. Cos it's back to normal now, can login. But I know something's wrong in there.

I went into safe mode into Administrator and I tried to delete Administrator.computer description name and Administrator.computer description name.000 but at first Administrator.computer description name.000 can't. Then later my sis booted it up and the logon screen appears! Magic! lol.. err.. Then in her account username1 I managed to delete the whole Administrator.computer description name.000 folder. So I suppose it's quite fixed now. Before that I also tried the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314466 but failed. So i skipped that and try others.

Thanks!

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good to hear.

You might want to have a gander at the event viewer (run eventvwr.msc )and look under both the System and Applications logs for issues around this time.

Under the system log look for Disk errors in particular.

Under the Applications log look to see if there is a recent "Winlogon" entry. That would have been left by chkdsk.

edit if you tried method 2 of the repair methods in that link -- it could account for the files you are seeing -- I don't think I would have tried that at that stage since it involves a whole new installation, something they gloss over.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/763574