Black screen after driver install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HOSS113090

Case- nzxt h510 elite
MB- Msi mag b550 tomahawk
Cpu- ryzen 5 5600x
Cpu cooler- dark rock pro 4
Memory- crucial 2x8gb
Gpu- powercolor rx 6600xt hellhound
512gb ssd
1tb hdd
250gb hdd
Psu- Evga 80+ gold 650w

I use ddu to uninstall all drivers for the gpu. I install the new drivers from amd and i get a black screen.
Did this in normal operating mode with internet connected, followed by disconnected. Did the same thing in safe mode, with internet and without.
Mb bios is updated to latest update. I have my pc hooked up to my sanyo tv via hdmi. Any ideas? Thanks everyone!

DDU makes mistakes. Seen it on this forum several times. Go to your GPU manufacturer's website and download their drivers.

HOSS113090

So i should download drivers from powercolor instead of amd? This is my first build, im a bit lost with all the drivers. I did a bios update, but just realized about 30 minutes ago that there are mb drivers as well. I havent installed them, could that be the reason?

Each gpu manufacturer will tinker with AMD's design offering some special feature to distinguish themselves from other gpu makers, so yes should go to the gpu's web site to get their drivers.

motherboard chipset drivers are also important.

HOSS113090

Thanks for the help. Ill give it a try when i get home from work and give you guys an update. Thanks again!

HOSS113090

No. I installed drivers the first time and got a black screen. Used ddu to remove and try again. I even used amd utility cleanup.

So this is a new self built PC and the screen has never worked? Or did it work before, since you said you got into Safe Mode.

If it had worked before and suddenly stopped working, try System Restore to a previous date when it was working.

HOSS113090

Yes its a new build, Im running the system on my television via hdmi. There is no restore point. I get picture until i install the latest drivers. The gpu isn't detected in system and wont work in games. If i install the drivers, i can only access in safe mode and the GPU is then detected but i can't run normal windows.

What security program are you running?

Something is interfering with the driver - since you say the screen works in safe mode.

HOSS113090

How do i check which security program i have, i havent messed with that.

Just click on the Windows Security icon in t the systrsy. Then click Virus and Threat protection. You will either Windows Defender or some third party antivirus.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online