Cpu- ryzen 5 5600x
Cpu cooler- dark rock pro 4
Memory- crucial 2x8gb
Gpu- powercolor rx 6600xt hellhound
512gb ssd
1tb hdd
250gb hdd
Psu- Evga 80+ gold 650w

I use ddu to uninstall all drivers for the gpu. I install the new drivers from amd and i get a black screen.
Did this in normal operating mode with internet connected, followed by disconnected. Did the same thing in safe mode, with internet and without.
Mb bios is updated to latest update. I have my pc hooked up to my sanyo tv via hdmi. Any ideas? Thanks everyone!

#30 ·
So just to be a little more informative, i have the evga supernova 650 g1. Ive been going down your list and havent come across any issues yet. A curiosity ive had though, should i create a separate partition for my drivers instead of having them crammed together on the same partition as my OS?

#31 · (Edited)
Drivers are part ie installed in the operating system. While it is sometimes possible to select where the driver will be decompressed or be stored, it makes no sense to place them on a different drive or partition.

The only way you are going to find the problem is by swapping parts OR test your parts in a test/bench system. If you do not have either of these options, then the only other option is to take it to a shop and have them test it for you. Most shops charge 1hr shop labor [which varies by location] here it is $90 or so per hr.

Im running the system on my television via hdmi
I think the very first thing I would swap would be to connect a known working monitor to see if it is simply a resolution issue. Next I am no fan of msi boards and that would be the next part I would swap. Since you have already swapped the video card, I doubt it is causing this issue; possible however not likely.

#33 ·
Just because it is multi rail, does not mean it is bad. Looks like you have 80amp split between four rails. While I prefer a single rail, this is not terrible. The supernova series are very good pw supplies and the new ones use the single rail. It is pretty easy to test the pw supply. Swap in a known good unit and you do not have to fully install the test pw supply; just connect atx, aux/cpu pw, and video pw, and the one drive on which you have windows installed. If you are using a M.2 type drive, there is no connection from the pw supply. Hit the ON button and see if it works.
I would first connect a real monitor rather than a TV to make sure it is not a resolution problem.

#34 ·
Dont know if it matters but my tv is 120hz 1080p. But either way I'm confused now. Your problem build page said a gaming system is better off with 40+ amps on the rail. My current psu per+12v rail #1 has max output of 20A. Im learning, so what am i missing here if your saying my multi channel isnt bad?

#35 ·
You have 80amp; it is just split among 4 rails. You would have the aux/cpu pw on one rail, pci-e on another, sata pw on a third and so on.
Multi rail pw supplies have fallen out of favor however that does not mean yours is bad. Test first with a real monitor then if that does not work, move on to the pw supply.

One reason why multi rail pw supplies have fallen out of favor is that there is often a little slight of hand when rating the units. Take a look at your label. It shows four 12V rails with 20amp each however [and this is a big however] the max all four can put out is 53amp/636watts. Normally you use ohm's law to find watts; ie VxA=W. That would make you think you have 960 watts on the 12V however peak output is limited to 636.

In short, while each rail is capable of supplying 20amp, they all cannot supply 20amp at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.