1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black screen after gpu driver update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jpiie, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpiie

jpiie Thread Starter

hi,my computer has suddenly been crashing to a black screen (everything else is still on) while im in the middle of browsing the web. i reformatted and tried system restores... they all worked until i installed my driver for the AMD gpu. after instaling the gpu and rebooting, i get to the log in page and will get a black screen again after seeing my desktop for a few seconds. i tried different drivers , 6800 series, catalyst omega, beta... all dont work. is there a driver specifically for 6870? whats gone wrong. hopefully u can help here please.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is your computer a factory-brand one or a custom/home-made one? A description of it would be helpful.

What version and bit version of Windows is it running?

----------------------------------------------------------

3. jpiie

jpiie Thread Starter

it was a custom made one from a few years ago. windows 7 64 bit
    the gpu is amd radeon HD 6870
    im not sure what the mother board model is... but the power supply is gigabyte GE-P720A-C2

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It appears to have a Gigabyte ODIN GE-P7220A-C2 720 watt power supply.

All of the AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards appear to be dual-width models.

This appears to be the most current driver for it for Windows 7 64-bit.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a hardware or gaming expert, so my input here is pretty limited.

I'm also not a fan of AMD processors and AMD graphics cards and have had noticably less issues with Intel processors and NVIDIA graphics cards.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. jpiie

jpiie Thread Starter

6. jpiie

jpiie Thread Starter

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The AMD site has drivers for the entire AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series PCI Express graphics cards.

It doesn't break it down by specific model numbers, such as the 6870.

Personally, I wouldn't use a beta graphics driver.

Attached Files:

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I see one big issue here; specifically your choice of pw supply. That is NOT a gaming pw supply; even gigabyte says it is for mainstream and basic use
    The very first thing I would do to troubleshoot the system is to install a pw supply intended for gaming. Here is an example of what you need;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151107

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you install the driver for your card, it then runs at normal pw. Without the driver, it runs in basic mode so that is one reason why it crashes after you install the driver.

In addition, enter the bios and post the following info; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This should be under the "Health or Hardware" section of the bios.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice