1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen after loading window on xp.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chin_gal, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chin_gal

Chin_gal Thread Starter

Hello,

I can't get onto my computer at home. It loads up, shows the HP screen, then shows that windows didn't restart properly. No matter what I click on (including last good configuration) it goes to a black screen. Originally it went to a chkdsk screen and checked for errors, but once it completed and said it found errors, I've gotten the black screen ever since and can't get anywhere near the desktop. Just the windows xp loading screen, then nothing but a black screen. Oh, and safe mode won't work either. If I click safe mode, a page full of white script comes up and won't go any further. Now, I do have the option of doing a HP system recovery (either that or destructive recovery) from the blue screen that shows up first, but I'm really concerned about losing everything. It's not backed up, and even though it says during it's default recovery I won't lose data files, I'm still nervous about proceeding. So, any ideas on what I can do? I'm at a loss, and right now I'm not even home, I'm on a computer up at my campus. So if there's a large gap in reply, it's because I had to leave.

Urgent help needed,
    Thank you :(

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One option is to use a Linux Live CD as a rescue disk to copy your data to CD, USB flash drive, external drive, etc., before the "Recovery." My suggestion is Puppy Linux. It's about a 100 MB download, and will run completely in RAM, allowing you to use the CD drive to copy data to if desired.

3. Chin_gal

Chin_gal Thread Starter

Thank you so much. Now, will this work even though I can't get into the computer? How would I copy it onto there? I'm guessing I'd download it onto a disk from another computer and just put it into the drive of mine? I apologize for so many questions, I couldn't find too many answers on that site.

Thank you :)

Edit: On that site it just appears to be an operating system. How is that going to convert files to xp?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You download the .iso and create a bootable CD. You may then have to go into the BIOS (Setup) on the computer and change the boot order to make the CD (optical) drive first.

Yes, any Linux distribution is an operating system. The purpose of my suggestion was for you to back up your data before attempting the Recovery. I have no idea what "convert files to xp" means.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice