1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen after start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adamf14, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adamf14

adamf14 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an hp computer with Windows xp pro. After it boots the screen flickers and then goes black...hangs...then eventually shuts down. I can start up in safemode fine. I've tried diffrent monitors and formatting and reinstalling windows but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Sponsor

3. ratchet

ratchet

Try going to HP website and finding Graphics driver for the model you are working with.
    Download the driver, then remove the current driver in Device Manager and restart. When XP finds new hardware at startup direct the search to the HP driver.

4. adamf14

adamf14 Thread Starter

I cant find a graphics driver for a hp pavillion 533w with a Asus P4G533-LA motherboard. I dont know why hp makes it so difficult to find drivers. Im stumped...

5. ratchet

ratchet

Did you format your hard drive?

Are the HP tools still in your progams list? If so you can use Restoring software and drivers in Windows XP.

The reason HP does not list a graphics driver is to keep your cash flowing to them.

If you look at the info for your HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, ASUS P4G533, you will see that the CPU is a socket 478.

At the ASUS SOCKET478 downloads your motherboard is not listed. HP probably bought a MB from ASUS with all rights and changed one # or letter to prevent free driver download.

If you look at the Intel 845GL Chip Set Information and Downloads you will find the AGP driver, but this is not the Graphics driver. This driver must be installed before your Graphics driver.

6. adamf14

adamf14 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I'm fixing this computer for a friend and she lost her Windows resoration cd so i am installing a fresh copy of windows xp that is not specifically for hp. Therefore there is no hp resoration option in the start menu. Maybe i should look into contacting hp for a resoration cd?

Thanks again,
    Adam

7. maxmelbin

maxmelbin

Whenever u have problem with HP computers , PLease contact HP , we will be able to tell u how to get drivers for each components of ur model or will help u to restore ur computer with all original drivers...

If u loose ur restore cd its always advisabel to obtain one from HP..

cheers
    Maxmelbin
    Technical Support Engineer
    HP

8. ratchet

ratchet

Please have your Credit Card handy :eek:

9. adamf14

adamf14 Thread Starter

bloody money sucking thiefs...

10. adamf14

adamf14 Thread Starter

I just restored my computer (for the third time). It does the same thing (the screen turns black after windows loading screen). So i tried to boot up in safemode and it says that the system was not fully installed, which is false. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

11. adamf14

adamf14 Thread Starter

/ | \
    / | \
    / | \
    |
    |
    |
    | :confused:

12. ratchet

ratchet

13. adamf14

adamf14 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply...tried that...

Thanks again,
    Adam

14. adamf14

adamf14 Thread Starter

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Thanks

15. adamf14

adamf14 Thread Starter

16. ratchet

ratchet

As far as I know you only have one option, purchase the recovery cd from the
    They've got you by the short hairs.

Even if you could find all the drivers you need, how are you going to get them to load during windows setup?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/238666