Black screen after Windows Update

Jayjaycee

Hi All!

I need some help with my Windows 10 ASUS laptop - it has been having issues for quite sometime and I just put up with it but it is really getting to me now.

Everytime I turn on the computer or restart from a Windows update, the screen is always black and sometimes I work around it with hot keys or I wait for ages for the log in screen to pop up.

I have downloaded a few PC health programs and I have norton 360 but I still haven’t had any system performance improvements. Could someone please tell me what I need to do to get the most out of my laptop? It’s quite disappointing that I can’t work on it for too long compared to my work computer which is a lot more faster and battery lasts longer.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

thank you :)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200612010126.000000+600
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (278 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TP501UQK, ver 1.0, s/n QCCBKA1AD65100224
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver _ASUS_ - 1072009, s/n GCN0CX193185517
Antivirus: Norton 360, Enabled and Updated

Last edited:
Uninstall that PC health program, they are useless.

Uninstall Norton 360 and test. 3rd party antivirus have a hard time keeping up with MS's update schedule every 6 months and causes compatibility problems. We have seen strange problems when people run 3rd party antivirus programs.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (278 GB Free)
Besides the issues mentioned in post #2, it's my guess your computer has numerous installed apps and numerous running processes.

You might consider doing a clean re-install and getting a fresh start.

-------------------------------------------------

Jayjaycee

Hey everyone,

thanks heaps for your replies - I contacted Microsoft and we decided to defrag my drives which helped me so much regarding the black screen issue.
We noticed there was a ‘program’ in the start up which I have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it.
So I’m going to back up all my files and complete a fresh start - too many programs and it’s much easier to get it all cleaned out. Hoping Norton will do a better job with less programs

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I’m going to back up all my files and complete a fresh start - too many programs and it’s much easier to get it all cleaned out. Hoping Norton will do a better job with less programs
I'm glad you've decided to do a clean re-install and get a fresh start. (y)

Do not re-install Norton 360 afterwards. (n)
Stick with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app - Windows Security aka Windows Defender. (y)

--------------------------------------------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online