1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen after Windows XP logo and had a System error lsass.exe

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by thrawn2143, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thrawn2143

thrawn2143 Thread Starter

Ok this is what happened. there was some error message whenever I was restarting my PC. Next thing I know is it boots up goes past the Win XP logo and its a black screen and nothing else.

Go into recovery console and did this as described

Part One
    In part one, you start the Recovery Console, create a temporary folder, back up the existing registry files to a new location, delete the registry files at their existing location, and then copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. When you have finished this procedure, a registry is created that you can use to start Windows XP. This registry was created and saved during the initial setup of Windows XP. Therefore any changes and settings that occurred after the Setup program was finished are lost.

To complete part one, follow these steps:
    Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
    When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
    When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
    At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
    md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

in the process of doing this restarted. Next thing I know I get this error message

System error lsass.exe:
    When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

When trying to log into recovery console now I have a password on it and I dont know it

HELP!!!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. AVSupport

AVSupport

You ahve to type in your Administrator password.......correctly....

4. thrawn2143

well the thing is this. Never had a password on it before

5. thrawn2143

My problem is I cannot get to a platform to upload either something to clean out a worm or to edit, delete, or add something. Since I cannot access the recovery console with this "new" password that I dont know what else can I do?

6. ~Candy~

Did you try safe mode?

7. thrawn2143

it comes up with the System error lsass.exe:
    When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

in each safe mode

8. thrawn2143

so do u still think this is a security issue?

9. FinestRanger

FinestRanger

sure sounds like Sasser.

10. thrawn2143

yeah thats whats been said. Only thing is how do U remove it if u cannot get into the recovery console or safe mode

11. ~Candy~

Hold on, I've asked someone else to take a look and I think we've stumped everyone here. Are you sure there isn't more to this story that you haven't told us?

Every bit helps.

12. thrawn2143

well lets see.

when I ran the copy and replace bit the system file came up not found. so I went into the c:\windows\tmp\system.bak to replace the system file, since I did not have one avail in the c:\windows\repair\system (or it was the other way around)

At the time before that I could access the recovery console. since then I cannot get access. I ran the repair from xp install which gave me the access to see the error message and a cursor (where before I could not). but I cannot get to the desktop, safe mode, or recovery.

I need either something to reset that password or remove it. I guess

13. ~Candy~

Can you go back further, before you needed to restart the pc....what were you doing at that point?

That quote is what I'm most worried about.

14. thrawn2143

it started off with when I started up from hibernation and there was an error message balloon in the corner something about a file in the system32. before that there was something involving my mail folder for MSN explorer. I powered down my pc and then all this started happening. I didnt catch what file it was with the error

15. ~Candy~

Well, if that's all we have to go on, my best suggestion would be to try a reinstall. Choose the option like you are going to start from clean, but at the second choice, choose the XP partition that exists. I think you'll probably need to reinstall apps, but your documents, etc. should be there.

Please wait for second opinions, but that is all I have to offer at this time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/228768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice