1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen and Cursor after Win7 64bit Boot.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Draygonia, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draygonia

Draygonia Thread Starter

Just today, I came back to my computer to find that my HDMI input went blue for no reason! After troubleshooting to no avail, I switched to VGA and was able to get it to work.

Now, after Win7 loads and brings me to the main accounts screen, all I can see is my mouse cursor and nothing else.

I am currently in safe mode and I have rolled back my video drivers, but still am unable to get it to boot regularly.

Did a spybot and ad-aware scan and I don't think it is a virus.

I would hate to think it is my video card, but I recently (about 3 weeks ago) installed one and was not sure if my 850 watt power supply was enough to support 2 ATI 5850s. I don't think that is the issue either, but perhaps my PSU finally had enough...

Anyways, I am just sitting here trying to figure out what to do... Thankfully I can move my entire computer to a backup drive if need be, but I would like to avoid that.

Also, there are no backups or restore points... apparently that is not an automatically enabled feature on Win7.

Any help is appreciated.

2. w7pro

w7pro

I'm a little surprised that it's in safe mode and still not responding. This may be a bit extreme, but have you tried to do a clean install? Granted, you'll lose whatever you're not able to backup, but it might help you rule out that it's not your video card...or support your theory.

Microsoft also has other suggestions on this page that you may find helpful: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

3. Draygonia

Draygonia Thread Starter

Safe mode is working fairly well, but booting regularly is not working. Do you think that I may not have enough power?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice