1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen and random lines

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neoyanderson, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neoyanderson

neoyanderson Thread Starter

hey i tried to install my video card. I followed the instructions in the manual and used the wizard on the CD. However when I have to reboot the computer, the screen goes black and stays black displaying some random white vertical lines. This happens either right in the middle of setup or during the startup. how do i install it correctly? It's a Radeon 9200 btw

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You probably need to fully uninstall the old card drivers.

3. neoyanderson

well this comp is something i just built, i dunno about uninstalling. on the device manager however i see VGA and VGA compatible with question marks besides them. should i somehow delete those?

4. norton850

norton850

Does your new motherboard have onboard video that needs to be disabled?

If not, in device manager is there any reference to the 9200? I believe that card supports two monitors which might be what you are seeing. If no reference to the 9200 right click on VGA. and choose properties. What does it say? Are any drivers listed for the device or do they need to be installed?

On the other hand if the 9200 is listed as well as the two VGA devices I would delete them (VGA and VGA compatible) and reboot.

5. neoyanderson

ok heres the exact setup. I managed to 'install' Radeon 9200. ON the device manager it appears as Radeon 9200 and Radeon 9200 SEC, both of which are disabled because if i attempt to turn on 9200, the screen goes and stays black. if i turn on 9200 sec, it doesnt do anything (same old choppy display). there are no other video drivers on the device manager. what should i do?

6. norton850

norton850

You video card will support two monitors so it is normal for device manager to show the 9200 twice (the sec stands for secondary).

Make sure you have up to date chipset drivers for your motherboard usually obtainable from you MB manufacturer web site. Install them

Go to the ATI web site following this link http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

to get this utility which will remove all ATI related files from your system. While at the site also get the latest drivers for your video card.

Recheck device manager to see if there are any references to the 9200 if so uninstall them. Sometimes it's helpful to do this in safe mode.

Reboot and let windows refind your 9200 and reinstall it using the latest drivers.

7. neoyanderson

more problems.
    the driver i downloaded managed to install both drivers without incident. however when i started it up the drivers would "fail to respond to commands". checking on the device manager, it says they arent properly configured. however, interestingly, when im in safe mode, it will not crash and the drivers are working 'normally'. still same choppiness. should i switch to 4x on the bios or something? for now i just uninstalled everything so the system will actually not crash. btw i have a Foxconn 755A mobo

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice