1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black screen at start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mysticphysh, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mysticphysh

mysticphysh Thread Starter

sorry if this question has been asked before.

I'm working on a computer that seems to boot up normally, but after the windows XP splash screen, it loads a black screen. I tried going into safe mode, but the screen is still black, but with the warnings on top and bottom of the screen that i'm currently in safe mode. I tried booting into safe with command, but still black. the task manage will not come up, the windows key will not bring up the start menu. I've tried a different monitor and it comes up the same. any thoughts before I ghost the drive and attempt a windows repair?

2. Sponsor

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I had the same problem and did essentially what you have in mind, although I did not include a "repair," whatever you mean by that.

Be sure to turn off System Restore once you are running and restart with a newly created restore point. That will eliminate any possibility of carrying forward a malware problem within your restore points.

{redoak}

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Hi try.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503/en-us
    Boot from CD
    When prompted press [R]
    Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
    When prompted for a password.
    Press Return [Enter]
    Type
    bootcfg /list
    Enter.
    Then type
    bootcfg /rebuild
    Enter

5. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

I would go about doing a repair/install. However bootlogging may give some advice about what the problem is, but a repair/install should get your working again.

BTW this is NOT A BOOT ISSUE, this is a LOAD ISSUE. So Bootcfg probably won't do anything since the system is booting.

6. mysticphysh

mysticphysh Thread Starter

Hey blues_harp28, i found that link before, but I dont think it applies here because the problem doesn't happen immidently after POST. Windows actually loads...sort of. Anyways, I think it's just a hardware issue.

I ghosted the drive but while trying to load the XP disk to repair the 2nd disk, i got errors in loading. I switched the CD Drive, swapped the RAM and the 2nd disk was repaired. So, I used that disk to ghost to the original harddrive, but even with an exact copy, that harddrive is still loading the same problem.

I'm just giving the person i was fixing it for the new harddrive (she'll be minus 10 GBs) and tell her she needs a new CD and to upgrade her RAM.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648992