1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Black Screen at Startup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by oldjunk, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldjunk

oldjunk Mike Thread Starter

When first turning on the computer everything operates normally until the green progress dots at the monitor's bottom move me into a black screen. At this point the OS doesn't continue loading. I am able to operate normally and get online if in Safe Mode.

I've gone to YouTube for a solution, but still haven't solved this problem. It doesn't appear to be bad memory.

Any solutions before I'm forced to take it in for service?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6142 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 688 GB (506 GB Free); D: 9 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Benicia
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

You appear to have a HP/Compaq brand desktop.
    What model name and model number is it?
    What's the serial number and product number on it?

Is this another one you found while dumpster diving?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. oldjunk

No, not another one, Frank - the same one we've discussed after I dragged it home on a cart shortly before Christmas.

HP Pavillion Media Center m8430f PC
    S/N: MXU8100HJJ
    Prod. #: KJ376AA#BA

5. flavallee

I don't remember that thread.
    Can you submit a link to it?
    You have THIS HP Pavilion Media Center m8430f Desktop PC(KJ376AA).
    It was purchased in March 2008 and came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit, but it's now running Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 64-bit.

Is this the first time since you found it about 5 months ago that you powered it on and tried to get it to load normally?

6. oldjunk

A portion of our former communication is shown below. With the exception of needing to wait 13 minutes before everything operates normally, it loads as expected. It rarely has problems and is the nicest desktop I've ever found.

Solved OS Start-up Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by oldjunk, Dec 2, 2016.

Unmark Solved
    Thread Status:
    Unmark Solved Unwatch Thread
    Advertisement
    1. [​IMG]
      Found this last night:
      HP Pavilion Media Center M8430f, 64 bit, Vista Home Premium
      Product # KJ376AA # BA
      SN: MX48100HJJ

When first starting, the machine appeared to work very well. After clicking the "Guest" icon, I accessed the OS w/
      all icons displayed on home page. Then, after attempting a re-start, I can no longer access the OS and various DOS screens display.

I tried to find this particular machine's specs on the HP site, but didn't know how access it.

The machine looks brand new, with original protective plastic still attached. This model was introduced February 4th, 2008.

I'm anxious to fix the problem. I think it came equipped with a 750 GB HD.

Please assist. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
      oldjunk, Dec 2, 2016 Report
    2. [​IMG]
      HP Pavilion Media Center m8430f Desktop PC (KJ376AA)
      It was introduced in February 2008 and sold in the U.S.A. and Canada and came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit.
      It came with these specs:
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz processor
      4 GB DDR2-800 RAM (supports up to 8 GB)
      750 GB(698 GB) SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard drive
      Super-Multi disc drive
      NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT graphic card
      Realtek ALC888S high definition audio
      Realtek RTL8111C 10/100 Mbps ethernet
      300W power supply

If it still contains the "debris" and issues from its previous owner, you should do a clean Windows install and get a fresh start with it.
      Windows Vista is going extinct in a few months, so that desktop is a good candidate for Windows 7 64-bit.
      Unfortunately, a legitimate copy is hard to find and is expensive.

7. flavallee

I still stand by what I said in that thread.
    That desktop needs a clean re-install and fresh start.

Since Windows Vista is now "extinct", I wouldn't spend money and time into getting that desktop to keep running it.
    If you can find a legal copy of Windows 7 at a reasonably low price, that's the route I would go.

8. oldjunk

As I stated before, I have a brand-new legal copy of Win Pro 10 64Bit W/service tag that I intend to install (or have installed) at a later date. I'll get back about specific issues at that time.

Until then, though, I'd like to fix this start-up problem. From what I've read online, it's not all that uncommon. Can you help me fix THIS problem?

9. flavallee

I wasn't aware you have a legal copy of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit that you plan to install in that desktop.

When you found that desktop, it had Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed in it.
    You don't know if it's a legal or non-genuine copy, and you don't know how that desktop's previous owner used it and what's installed in it.
    I'm not there, so it's impossible for me to advise you how to resolve its issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. kenbok51

kenbok51

You could try disconnecting the 9gig drive and see how it runs with just one. Even though the 9gig is not the C drive it could slow everything down if it's bad in some way as both drives will be accessed during boot up. It could be slow platter spin or something else going on with the drive. That drive must be 20 years old or more.

11. oldjunk

I did a simple System Restore and the problem was fixed. I had wanted to do this before but my Vista didn't offer a restore point option (I had to start the restore point at 1/27/17), so I didn't do the restore. Today, I just threw a Hail Mary and hoped for the best. It Worked!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190101