1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen at startup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by spottedslinky, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spottedslinky

spottedslinky Thread Starter

I am working on a friend's Vista Gateway machine. She ocassionally gets a blue screen and then she gets the System Repair screen. We got both when we tried to download her new anti-virus (yes, we uninstalled the old one first).

Then she told me that her last 'helper' told her not to download/install anymore Windows updates. This has been several months, and I told her I thought by now it may be a good idea to update. So we did. 64 out of 65 updates downloaded, installed and configured properly. One got an unknown error message. I went ahead with the reboot, and never got Windows back again.

Now I just get a black screen, even after going into safe mode, or selecting the system repair option, or the start Windows normally option. I tried going in the Boot options, and found that it was set to CD/DVD. I tried to change it to Main hard drive, but it didn't stick.

I'm not a programmer. I think I can change BIOS settings if you tell me to do something with those. I haven't tried the F8 command. Any ideas?

2. Megabite

Megabite

When you go into Bios does it mention the Hard drive by its name?

Do they have the Operating System on Disc?

3. spottedslinky

I don't know. I will check that and get back to you tomorrow. The problem is that my internet connection is not near her computer right now. So this may be a little slow getting back. But thanks and I will check that BIOS hard drive name.

4. Megabite

Megabite

You can change the order of boot so that the Hard drive is first in Bios but you must save and exit.

5. spottedslinky

Yes, I did that, but it didn't stick I did the F10 and I also went into the Exit menu and chose Save, but either way when I restarted it didn't save the change.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Is this a laptop or desktop?

7. spottedslinky

laptop. I'm really sorry I don't have all the specs here. I'll send a whole list of info tomorrow, okay?

8. Megabite

Megabite

Understood...

Do they have the Operating System on Disc?

9. spottedslinky

As I said, I won't know until tomorrow. Thanks.

10. Megabite

Megabite

Understood......

11. spottedslinky

You've been very patient but I found out my friend does have a Vista OS disk. I'll get it from her tonight and will let you know when I can work on it. I think I can set up her computer next to this one. My thought now is to try to start up with the disk, correct? But after that I'll be at a loss as to how to prevent the blue/black screen thing from happening. I'll be in touch, probably in the a.m. Please don't go away. Sounds like you will be a great help.(y)

12. Megabite

Megabite

Put the Vista disk in and restart the PC hopefully it say press any key to boot from disc.

After the disc has loaded up choose you will get a language screen choose English

Then you should have an option Repair your computer.......first try Startup repair if it finds the Vista installation

13. DaveDoesIT

DaveDoesIT

Be warned, the rescue CD will most likely destroy all of the programs and data during a fresh install. Your friend may want to *first* get important data off the hard drive using another computer.

Dave

14. spottedslinky

I have the vista OS disk, and it very clearly states that all data will be destroyed. Any ideas on how I can get the data off before I use the disk? I have an HP laptop with Windows 7 as my second computer. do I need special software? cords? thanks again.

15. spottedslinky

I've booted the Gateway computer with the Vista OS disk, and after it loads all files, it still returns to the black screen with no further options. My friend is ready to toss this computer, for anyone out there that is sharing her pain.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice