1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen blinking cursor Windows won't load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chokfi, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chokfi

chokfi Thread Starter

Hi,

This is my first time posting here. I've noticed that many people appear to have had the same problem, but when I read the responses, I can't seem to find one that fits mine in particular (perhaps I just don't understand how to implement them).

When I hit the startup button, I get the IBM thinkpad logo and "to interrupt normal startup, press the blue access IBM button" and then the screen goes black with a blinking cursor on the top left hand corner and Windows won't load. Out of frustration, I tried re-arranging the boot priority order and network boot priority order but returned them to the default settings because I'm not technically proficient.

I also tried following the instructions for getting into safe mode (from the microsoft site) but hitting F8 doesn't work.

This problem may be virus related because I got an avast warning yesterday that it detected a windows32 malware and moved it to the chest. I declined the option to restart at the time - I was working on some stuff - later, I inadvertantly put it on standby without scheduling a boot scan on startup. Anyway, next time I tried to boot up I started having this problem.

I did have the windows security 2011 virus two weeks ago and managed to remove it but I don't know if this is related.

My laptop's a Thinkpad T42 Type 2373 with Windows XP professional (no disc, it was loaded for me - I have the product key).

Appreciate any assistance in resolving this. Thanks.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    im going to guess that either possibly the hard drive is going south or that u are going to have to borrow a copy of windows xp pro and try to do a repair install.if the repair doesnt even work or u cant even get the cd to boot or reinstall the operating system then its more than likely the harddrive.i have a t41 and a t43 and they arent that old but harddrives can fail no matter how old or new a computer is.when u say it was loaded for u im hoping it was an ibm preload which means it was from an ibm recovery disk.hope this helps u.

3. chokfi

chokfi Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your response SueOhio. The sales assistant at the store installed Windows for me - I didn't actually look at the CD but checked that the laptop has the product key sticker.I'm not particularly tech savvy so I may be wrong, but I'm inclined to think it's not the hard drive failing, but the virus affecting the computer because it was working fine before that (unless you mean it's failing because of the virus). I will try to get a windows recovery cd - does that mean I will lose my files? It's not the end of the world because I've only actually used this laptop for a few months but I'm still hoping that won't be the case.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    u are very welcome.viruses dont usually make hard drives fail but yes the virus has certainly messed up the computer to where your operating system is corrupted.they should of made u a copy of windows xp and the drivers because u are going to need them if a repair doesnt work.on a repair u shouldnt lose your files but if u have to reinstall yes u will.did u buy this computer new or used? i would go back to where u purchased it and if u have a legit COA sticker on the computer they should be able to make u a copy of windows xp for free or for a nominal charge.as for drivers u will have to go to either the IBM or lenovo website and look under support drivers and downloads for your model of computer and look for all the xp drivers of which there are many. for future use if u have another computer burn the drivers to a cd so that u will have them.its very possible in addition to the virus the harddrive might have gone bad also. hope this helps u

5. chokfi

chokfi Thread Starter

It is a used laptop but I was a bit wary of getting one so I also bought a one year warranty which should cover the hard drive if it has failed (though not likely if it's virus related). Otherwise, it's actually been pretty good so far.

They assured me the COA sticker is legit so I will have to get my hands on a recovery CD perhaps from the same place. I do have the lenovo/XP drivers on a USB key so that's covered. Moral of the story is to schedule a boot scan as soon as possible and back up my files regularly.:)

Thanks again for your suggestions - they helped a lot.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    again u are very welcome. ive bought a lot of good used lenovo/ibm and dell computers and so far had very few problems.to make sure u are protected from viruses there is a lot of good antivirus programs out there if u dont want to pay for one.hopefully u will get a copy of windows xp from them. as far as an actual recovery disk good luck i have yet to get any from ibm or dell. ive had to go elsewhere for recovery disks for thinkpads. as for dells having dell branded copies of windows xp home and pro has worked just fine.with brand new computers u are lucky if u get anything now. u are expected to make your own recovery disks and make copies of the drivers needed.hope this helps u.

7. chokfi

chokfi Thread Starter

That's good to know you've had good experiences with used lenovos and dells. Now that you mention it, I realize that the Windows XP CD and recovery disk aren't the same thing - I got confused about that for a bit. I might just look for a reputable seller on ebay and buy a recovery disk from them. I've got Avast, Spybot and some other anti-malware program on my laptop - the problem is actually with the owner, lol!

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    lol!!! we were all beginners at one time or another. we learn by doing and we make lots of rookie mistakes.u only need one antivirus program more than one can create a lot of problems and confusion.on ebay just be very careful.i think where u got the computer from since u have a legit valid COA sticker they can make u a copy of windows xp. i bought a computer one time with nothing and since i had the coa sticker i paid 5 dollars for a copy from where i got it from. most reputable places will do that for u.theres a very good place to find ibm thinkpad recovery disks. ive bought several from them for different ibm thinkpads of which i have many and they work great. in fact they will restore the computer back to the factory settings.i cant think of the exact name at the moment but i believe its called thinkpadrecoverycds.hope this helps u.

9. chokfi

chokfi Thread Starter

True, there's a learning curve for everyone initially. If I have to get XP, I will get it from the laptop vendor - I think they've been in business for a while, so I trust that the sticker is legit. I haven't had a chance to do it yet, but I will check out the site for recovery disks that you mentioned, thanks for that. At first I only installed Avast on my laptop, but when I had the Windows security 2011 virus, I read that the anti-malware program was good for it in particular and also added Spybot then. I might just move those two onto a USB stick instead. I noticed that some of the disc vendors on ebay don't have good ratings so for sure, I would avoid those if I end up going there. I agree, it's probably easy to get scammed.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice