1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen Crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Temac, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Temac

Temac Thread Starter

Hello, my apologies if I am posting this in the wrong section but I am desperate for help and just found this website. I'll try to be a thorough as possible describing my problem and what I know about it to help you help me.

I just built my first PC during December of last year and I got a friend to help me build it.

Specifics:
    ATX Guardian Case
    Asus Z87 Pro Motherboard
    AMD Radeon r9 200 graphics card
    250gb ssd
    12gb RAM
    Intel I5-4330 @ 3.0GHz
    Corsair TX650 Power Supply

Now on to the problem: After a day or two of having this computer I started to notice little wavy horizontal lines that would run from the top of the screen to the bottom while I was on it. I finally got those to go away by using an HDMI cord instead of VGA. I'm not sure if that is related to this but the real problem is that whenever I am watching a video on the internet sometimes my computer will crash. It used to be with grey vertical lines, and after messing with some things whenever it happened they were all different colors.

I'm not sure if this is limited to just videos or not because I'm pretty sure it's happened a few times when my PC was just idoling. I started a download of Elder Scrolls Online which I had to leave going all night once and woke up with a frozen computer and all that was up on the screen before the crash was the games launcher/downloader. Anyways, after months of changing things and trying different fixes now when it crashes it's just a black screep with looping audio from whatever I was listening to. Below I will post a few more specifics in a list.

Things I've tried:
    Updated drivers (BIOS, GPU, CPU, AUDIO)
    Cleaned out my entire tower very thoroughly
    tweaked power settings
    set GPU voltage to constant through MSI afterburner
    move my GPU to another gpu slot on the mother board

Another important note, this has NEVER happened once in a video games. I had it happen in games like runescape and the original HALO but I have a hunch its because they don't require very much power out of your graphics card. But games like cs;go, wow, far cry 4, I can play the hell out of for hours on in.. but God forbid I want to watch a movie. It always crashes during the good parts too... lol. But the only thing I can do is a hard restart.

Thanks for reading! I'll be waiting anxiously for any replies :D

2. Temac

Temac Thread Starter

Crashed again yesterday while watching a video and gave me white lines.

3. trogdo

trogdo

When you say video, is it streamed through a browser or played locally through a media player like WMP or VLC?

4. Temac

Temac Thread Starter

streamed through a browser, stuff like youtube pretty much

5. trogdo

trogdo

I'm thinking it may be a Flash problem. Which browser do you use?

6. Temac

Temac Thread Starter

I use google chrome but it also happened in firefox.

7. trogdo

trogdo

That takes me aback somewhat, as chrome uses its own built-in flash. Either way, follow these instructions, uninstall chrome, restart the computer, then download chrome and see if videos work. If no video, burden your computer with the latest version of flash.

If all that fails, you will know for sure it's not a flash problem, and maybe it's time to bite the bullet and do a fresh install of Windows. It takes a while, but it might end up saving you countless hours of digging through forums and following advice of people whose avatar is a far side penguin.

8. Temac

Temac Thread Starter

Well it can happen too when I'm just browsing the internet and I think it happened once when I was just on my desktop so I don't think it's with flash. But I'll probably try a fresh install

9. trogdo

trogdo

Could still be the problem; flash-based ads are on almost every website and in a lot of software, freeware in particular.

10. Temac

Temac Thread Starter

so what exactly should I do after a fresh install?

11. trogdo

trogdo

Morning. Well, first thing is let windows update do its thing, then install all the drivers, then all the software(hold off on flash for a bit). It should sort it out, if the machine is coping with demands of gaming, it's got to be a software issue and a fresh install will do it a world of good.

Before you install flash on your minty fresh system, do try using chrome for all the video sites and another browser for other stuff. That way there is no need to install flash at all.

12. Temac

Temac Thread Starter

Okay so I just did a fresh windows 7 install, I was watching twitch.tv while download windows updates and updating my graphics card drivers to the most up to date one and during the install it froze with pink vertical and I had to do a restart.

Also if this helps I used to get wavy lines when using a vgs/dvi cord so I started using an hdmi cord to fix it and my desktop had the black border so I had to do an overscan in the CCC

13. trogdo

trogdo

That's a headscratcher, got to be the GPU. Which exact graphics card do you have?

14. Temac

Temac Thread Starter

I have the AMD Radeon r9 270x MSI edition

15. trogdo

trogdo

Can you try a different display with your PC? Seems this line of cards has all kinds of quirks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice