1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen Desktop PC Won't Shutdown or Reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aturner99, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aturner99

aturner99 Thread Starter

I have a desktop running Windows XP. I rarely shut it down. Although it is running all I get is a black screen. I tried alt, control, delete to restart and also tried turning it off using the power switch both without success.

I then unplugged it from the wall. When I plug it back in I get the same black screen and the pc is still on but doesn't reboot. I've unplugged the cord from the wall and the back of the pc and left it unplugged overnight with the same result once I reconnect the cord and plug it back into the wall.

Any ideas on what might be causing this and possible fixes? I appreciate any help that you can offer.

2. Lucky09

Lucky09

Hi,

Try rebooting with only the monitor, mouse and keyboard.
    Is BIOS accessible?
    if yes, reset to default
    if no, reseat the RAM

Next steps will be depending to the result

Cheers

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Bad RAM, Bad graphics card, or monitor not plugged in correctly.

Usually bad ram will give you a black screen and some beeps or something when you first switch on, but not always. My guess is you need to reseat the RAM (see below).

1. Check the monitor is plugged in properly and set up correctly (obviously lol)
    2. Check the graphics card is plugged in correctly.
    3. Make sure the power is off, hold ON button on PC for 10 secs to discharge everything. Open the PC up and remove all RAM sticks. Replace 1 stick only. Plug back in and switch on. If that works, replace all other sticks.
    4. If not, clear CMOS by removing battery on the motherboard and leaving for 15 mins (again, make sure the power is off and you've held the power on button to be sure everything is discharged). Replace CMOS battery and try again.
    You're looking for any sign of life on the computer screen. Let us know how you get on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice