1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen/Driver Crash/Freeze on Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Reubzy, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reubzy

Reubzy Thread Starter

Hi Tech Support Guy,

This is a long story so I will try to keep to the facts and things that may be useful to anyone willing to help. Also I wasn;t sure what logs to include so you can flame me for what you need.

Basically it started about 6 Months ago, I'd get a random black screen every week or some, nothing too major and I discounted it. In the past month it has become much worse. Every time I turn on the computer within 45mins of using it the video drivers will crash. I mean they will crash and possibly recover like 30secs later or it will stay black screened and eventually reset. Also the computer will sometimes hang at boot, indisciminately it will freeze, on boot, in safe mode menu, in bios menu, when the windows icon is loading. Anywhere and any time it can black screen freeze. Iv'e also noticed that sometimes the computer will turn on and a dos like interface will come up with the blinking space _ looking thing and just sits there can't type or anything. Its like it is failing to boot anything and just hanging.

What Ive Done

Now before you give me all the obvious answers im quite literate at computers. I've tried installing the most up to date video drivers, tried rolling back to stable drivers. I've tried to remove drivers with driversweep in safemode and reinstall new ones. Iv'e tried it all, tested different RAM, run memtest, run all kinds of diagnostics. All will either freeze during the test or complete with no issues. This had led me to believe that the problem doesn't lie with the Graphics card but with possibly the power supply or Mobo. 8 Months ago I was having BSODS so Umart (my local) replaced the graphics card to a 470GTX for me.

Ive also noticed after a freeze and rest I might not even be able to boot the computer for 2-3 hours. It will turn on and no signal will be sent to the monitor. Just hangs. Whats really bothering me is the complete randomness. It may work perfectly one hour and explode the next.

ANY help would be very much appreciated at im at wits end, freezing every 25mins, losing work, games and vital university work.

Sorry for the illiterate typing and rage factor I'm at the capacity of my technical knowledge here and really require some assistance

I know your going to need my computer specs and other kinds of diagnosis information, tell me what you need and I'll be happy to post anything. Any program you want run and any test. I just really want this fixed.

Thanks
    Reuben

EDIT: I did clean off my computer, fix up desktop and do a run through with CCleaner and surprisingly that helped. Did that couple weeks back and continue to do it, although altely it hasn't helped at all.

EDIT2: I also about 4 months back bought some new grease for my CPU and reattached it thinking this would solve the problem. It did not

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

If it freezes entering the BIOS, there is a hardware issue.

List your full hardware specs.

You can test the HDD using the drive manufacturers disk tools available from their website.
    You can test the RAM using Memtest86

3. Reubzy

Reubzy Thread Starter

Full Computer Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633)
    System Model: P5Q DELUXE
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/10/09 18:35:53 Ver: 08.00.14
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    RAM: Corsair TWIN2x4096-8500C5DF 4GB
    Power: Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W Extreme
    HDD: Seagate SATAII 500GB 32m Cache
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 470

I have run memtest before and its frozen nearly every time while testing. At no particular point does it freeze. I will run it again and see if it will make it the whole way through and will also run the HDD tests. WIll update you when I have completed these tests.

Computer was built in July 2008. Since then the Graphics Card has been replaced from a 280GTX to a 470GTX courtesy of the local computer shop while still under warranty

4. Reubzy

Reubzy Thread Starter

Run all the Seagate HDD tests, it does recommend an update of firmware but it passed all tests

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1002670