1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen during Windows 10 reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Msiguy, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Msiguy

Msiguy Thread Starter

Hey guys!

I have an MSI GL62 7RD laptop with Windows 10 that I bought back in December. Earlier today, the touchpad suddenly stopped working. A short while after that, the keyboard failed. Luckily, it still recognized my USB mouse, so after googling the problem for a while, I decided to "reset to factory settings" instead of opening it up and fiddling with the keyboard and mouse connectors.
    Just as it was shutting down it flashed a bluescreen. All I could read in the time it flashed was that it encountered something, but was gonna take care of it on its own and restart. Didn't think much of it (maybe it's a part of the reset)... It shut off and then rebooted, and has been stuck with a black screen and the fans at a medium speed (like it's powering on but stuck with something) for about four hours.

I'm all out of ideas, and I'm scared to mess it up more than it already is.
    Please help me!

Right before it all started I was:
    Playing BeamNG.
    Downloading BeamNG mods.
    Plugging in an Xbox One controller which the computer downloaded drivers for.

Since the touchpad/keyboard failure and black screen I have:
    Tried to force a reboot once. Nothing changed.

Edit: English is not my first language so if there are any terms or expressions that are wrong here, please excuse me, and I will try to clarify them for anyone who asks.

Edit 2: The reboot thing might be more of a software than hardware problem, but it all started with the hardware :cautious:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

My guess at this stage is
    such downloads are often the cause of problems, especially if they are not from the recognised site OR one of the Beta Mods

Does the black screen display a cursor or is it a blank totally black screen

3. Msiguy

Msiguy Thread Starter

They were all from the official Beam forum, but yeah, you're probably right.

The screen is totally blank and totally black. Tried hooking it up to my TV via HDMI, but nothing there either.

4. Macboatmaster

When it first powers on do you see any screen before the black screen

5. Msiguy

Msiguy Thread Starter

No, nothing...
    Don't know if it's worth mentioning, but the only button that does anything besides the power switch is a fan boost button. I'm guessing that means it's at least loading some drivers. The laser on my USB mouse lights up as well. :confused:

6. Macboatmaster

Does that MSI laptop have a removable battery
    If so shut down, disconnect power
    remove battery
    hold down power button for 20 seconds
    reconnect battery
    reconnect mains power
    power on button
    try again see if result is any different

7. Msiguy

Msiguy Thread Starter

Not removable, I'm afraid. I'll unplug the charger, though.

8. Macboatmaster

• Battery Reset Hole
    Whenever the system firmware (EC) is upgraded or the system hangs, please 1) power off the notebook; 2) remove the AC power; 3) use a straightened paperclip to insert this hole for 10 sec; 4) connect the AC power; 5) power on the notebook.

Try this please
    refer to manual for battery reset hole
    Page 2-11 of your manual

9. Msiguy

Msiguy Thread Starter

Okay. I did it and powered it on. The screen is still black, but the fans are only barely running so at least it's not working as hard as it was before.

10. Msiguy

Msiguy Thread Starter

Tried again to connect it to my tv via HDMI as well. It doesn't output.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  11. Macboatmaster

If you have anything connected - Xbox controller
    or indeed usb mouse
    Disconnect them and any other external hardware
    Repeat as post 8
    and report result please

If still no good
    and you wish to continue to try and fix yourself then I will be back online about 1100 hrs UK time when if you are available we can continue

12. Msiguy

Msiguy Thread Starter

Already tried this a couple of times. Still no result.
    I should go to bed now as well, so let's talk more tomorrow.

And thank you very much for your help so far :)

13. Macboatmaster

14. Msiguy

Msiguy Thread Starter

No difference with ctrl+alt+del. I don't have access to any other computers at this time, but I'll try get it done tomorrow. Any other suggestions in the meantime?

I read that other people have had similar issues causes by corrupted/not properly seated RAM. Could that be the case here? It would at least explain the bluescreen I got.

15. Macboatmaster

There could be many causes but to take the one you mention ram does not come unseated unless the laptop has had a considerable jolt and for that to unseat ram, you can be assured that it would be such a jolt as to very likely cause other problems. The blue screen is far more likely to be a driver issue.

What I would advise is that you do NOT start exploring such issues as unseated ram on a laptop that is approx. 6 months old
    At the present time if the worse case scenario requires you submit under warranty for the problem you stand an excellent chance of it being fixed free
    Start messing around undoing parts and you stand a fair chance of warranty work being refused and the subsequent charges

If I am correct you laptop has no access hatch on the underside for the ram or indeed fro any other component. The whole underside case has to be removed after all screws removed. It is then held by clips and requires separation from the topside - keyboard etc.
    Please take my advice - leave it alone

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice