1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen for all full screen games

Discussion in 'Games' started by crispyrolls93, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispyrolls93

crispyrolls93 Thread Starter

Ok so whenever a game launches in fullscreen mode (any game, I've tried quite a few) I get a black screen and my computer seems unresponsive. (Alt + Tab, Alt + F4 and Alt+ Enter if it's a Steam game do nothing.) From this I either have to hard reset or sleep/wake my laptop (which windows the game making it playable).

I've noticed that the game will play full screen when run with the integrated graphics processor (Intel HD3000) but not with the dedicated graphics card (nVidia GeForce GT540m), but of course the integrated graphics processor on any laptop is never good for gaming. Likely meaning it's a software problem with my nVidia card. I've checked the latest drivers and I've returned the settings in nVidia Control Panel to default settings. All the games I've played worked a couple of months ago but it was exam season so I haven't been gaming on my laptop recently and when I've tried I've had these problems.

I've attached a DxDiag report if that's of any help to anyone. Full specs can be found here.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Specs

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8099 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 594050 MB, Free - 312586 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, PEQAA
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Attached Files:

2. granthillsSA

granthillsSA

Hi there

Update the driver here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/77228

If the games still do not work you have to configure the switchable graphics. This is a feature to save power by automatically allocating the internal graphics card for small applications so that the power hungry graphics card is not used all the time.

Here is a youtube video to help with switchable graphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8KqkZ5mTpw

Hope this helps
    Grant

3. crispyrolls93

crispyrolls93 Thread Starter

I have already installed this driver, and I've already set my laptop to use the Nvidia card, It still doesn't work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice