1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen in safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toyboy123, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toyboy123

toyboy123 Thread Starter

Hi,

in msconfig I made the pc to boost in safe mode every time. But when i boost my pc, the monitor is completely black all the time. I hear the fan start running, but the monitor is black from the start. No motherboard logos, no bios, nothing.

I think it might be a problem with safe mode communicating with my monitor or graphics card. My friend suggested my motherboard somehow fried.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

p.s. I'm running on Windows 7, Nvidia GTX970 (or similar)

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Can you provide more information about the PC itself .. make and model for example?
    If it is a self / customer build, what is the make and model of the motherboard, CPU, ram, graphics card, hard drives, power supply etc?

I assume everything was working OK until you made the change to the config file?

If you are not getting any display, not even seeing any boot / BIOS info then I would suspect a hardware issue as no drivers are loaded until Windows loads.

3. toyboy123

toyboy123 Thread Starter

More technical details of my pc:
    PSU: Corsair ATX 2.31 VS Series 650W
    Graphics card: Gigabyte GF GTX970 4GB GDDR5 PCIE
    Processor: IntelĀ® Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz 8MB
    MB: MSI B85M-G43

Additional info:
    Cooler Master Force 500
    Kingston 16GB DDR3 PC12800 CL10 DIMM
    Western Digital CAVIAR Blue 1TB SATA 7200RPM 64MB
    A-Data SSD Premier Pro SP900 256GB SATAIII

Yes, my pc was working perfectly until then. I actually don't remember the reason why I needed a safe mode.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    A couple of thoughts / tests:

1) The VS series PSUs from Corsair are not particularly good units. If you use Corsair, especially for a gaming system (which I assume this is based on the GPU) you should be looking at only the AX, HX or RM models as they are far better suited to deal with the power draw demands of a gaming machine.

2) Do you have access to any other known working GPU (maybe you could quickly borrow one from a friend) to test the system? A faulty / failed GPU is certainly a possibility. Either that or remove the GTX970 and try using the on chip graphics through the motherboards VGA, DVI-D or HDMI ports.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice