1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen, keeps rebooting, can't run windows or in safemode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by missk2010, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missk2010

missk2010 Thread Starter

Professional advice would be much appreciated.

When switching on the computer I get the following message on a black screen:

We appologise for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders... or if a previous startup attempt was interrupted ....

choose:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Promt
    Last Known Good Configuration
    Start Windows Normally

When I choose either of the first 3 options, I get the following scrolls (of about 50+ lines that I cant read as they run too fast). The last 3 lines are:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\NDIS.SYS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\TVALZ.SYS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\Mup.sys

Then the computer restarts and back to the same page again. When I choose Last Known Good Configuration or Start Windows Normally, the computer just reboots. I dont particularly care about this laptop but need all the saved folders and files as nothing is backed up. I am thinking the hard drive might be corrupt (although its not making any funny noices).

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Those 3 lines are formatted like boot.ini entires. Do you have a bootable XP cd?

3. missk2010

missk2010 Thread Starter

No I don't. Is that absolutely necessary?

4. shinybeast

shinybeast

Well, if those are in fact entries from your boot.ini file, you will need to repair/replace the file some how. Then you still may have to deal with what changed your boot.ini file in the first place. Without being there with the machine it is hard to suggest what to do. Hopefully someone else can help you more.

5. missk2010

missk2010 Thread Starter

Juju I found the Windows XP CD, should i just run it? Is it self explanatory?

6. missk2010

missk2010 Thread Starter

XP wont run. The drive makes a sound as its about to run it, but doesnt, then reboots and back tot he same screen again. :-(

7. shinybeast

shinybeast

First, boot off of CD, (if you need help with that, let me know) wait for Windows Setup to load. Then, choose Repair, then choose Recovery Console, then choose the windows installation (by number) and it will ask for admin password.
    Once at the command line type fixmbr and press enter. (fixes master boot record, can do no harm)
    Then type cd\ and press enter to get to root.
    Then type copy x:\i386\ntldr (where x is letter of cd drive) (replacing bootloader, since we are here)
    Then type copy x:\i386\ntdetect.com (again, where x is letter of cd drive)
    Then type bootcfg /rebuild
    Reboot and cross your fingers
    Like I said if there is an infection, it may happen all over again.
    Best of luck.

8. shinybeast

shinybeast

OK, do you know how to get into BIOS setup on your computer?

9. missk2010

missk2010 Thread Starter

Juju, yes pls help with: boot off of CD and get into BIOS setup. So far I cant even get into the Windows page, the comp shuts down before that stage.

10. shinybeast

shinybeast

Tell me about your computer - manufacturer, model. Also what do when see you at beginning of boot - a screen of text, a picture?

11. nessyguin

nessyguin

Those scrolling lines are normal - it is Windows loading the drivers used in Safe Mode . Nothing to do with boot.ini .
    As there is no boot error message such as NTLDR missing I doubt there's a problem with the OS per se . It sounds much more typical of garahic card trouble where the GUI cant load ..

Does the same problem occur when you boot from CD ? You should still be able to get into BIOS (often F2 or Del on POST) to check boot priority is set to CD-ROM first .

12. shinybeast

shinybeast

Nessyguin - Right, duh, got too far to be boot files.
    So, it sounds like the computer cannot leave VGA mode?

13. missk2010

missk2010 Thread Starter

Its Toshiba A30. When it reboots I see a black screen with the following text:

1st Screen:

Intel (R) Boot Agent FE v4.1.10
    Copyright (C) 1997-2003. Intel Corporation

PXE-E61 Media text failure. Check cable
    PXE-M0F Exiting Intel Boot agent

2nd Screen is the one I see described at the top of this forum.

3rd Screen is either the scroll of multi(0)......... as mentioned above,
    or
    Windows XP page (as if its loading)

THEN the comp shuts down and reboots again. All this is about 20 seconds long.

14. shinybeast

shinybeast

OK, it's not liking your hard drive or Windows installation. The PXE-E61... stuff means its trying to boot off of a network which it does when it doesn't have any other valid option. We need to find out if it will boot off of the CD. When you see the first screen look at the bottom for boot option information. Depending on what you see (if you see anything), try pressing F12 a few times while at the first screen to see if you can get the boot menu. Then choose CD. Alternately, try press C a few times to boot from CD.

15. shinybeast

shinybeast

Correction: The PXE-E61 stuff might mean... The network boot could be set to be the first boot device. If so, then it could be the graphics hardware like nessyguin said. Then your left with taking the computer to someone who can get your data off of that drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice