1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen, Matrix Code, the works...emergency

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edwinfung, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwinfung

edwinfung Thread Starter

Hey all,

I'm kind of freaking out since I have a final due in eight hours and my laptop went haywire on me. I've searched this forum and have tried some fixes to no avail.

Earlier today, I was working on my Dell M70 laptop (FX1400 video card) and I was connected to a monitor via VGA. Suddenly, the screen froze and an error msg came on concerning my driver.

I rebooted the laptop only to find my startup screen with vertical hash marks. The Windows XP load screen was fine but after that it went to a black screen. I rebooted in safe mode and this was this colorful pattern in the background (look like horizontal tire marks), then I uninstalled my video card in device manager, cleaned out the driver, and reinstalled the latest driver.

No success.

Can somebody help me out or point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the video corruption occurs on the BIOS splash screen or during the Windows splash screen then you have faulty hardware/video card and you'd have to replace that to resolve it - no quick fix.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice