1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen no error message but sound is working

Discussion in 'Games' started by Odin42, Nov 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Odin42

Odin42 Thread Starter

Greetings,

I am in desperate need of assistance with my new computer, I am at wits end so to speak.
    I've purchased a new built computer with these specifications:

Kolink Core PSU - 700W
    Gigabyte B250 Fintech Gaming LGA1151
    2× 8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance LPX
    Intel Core I7-6700K
    MSI Radeon rx armor 580 8GB - Connected to two displays one at 60hz and one native 60hz but overlocked to 70hz.
    Windows 10

My issue is that sometimes when I am gaming both my screens turn black, I can still hear sound from whatever I have up and running. In this black screen state I an unable to do anything but restart my computer by using the manual power button. There exist no error message, I have checked Event viewer and Reliablity report - The only thing showing up is the ''critical event'' that Windows was not properly shut down (me pressing the power button.)

I have a Pro version of Driver booster which makes sure I have all the updated drivers for everything the program can find. I have the latest Windows updates and I have the latest AMD drivers.

I have done a clean install of the graphic drivers as per AMD instructions (Unistall drivers - boot in safe mode - install latest drivers). Now here is some important details- The issue is very random, first time it happend I had RDR2 running and netflix on the other screen watching some startrek - After maybe 3-4 episodes my screens go black. Second time I was gaming and watching just a 10min youtube clip same thing happend.
    Now for the third time I had made the clean graphic card driver unistall/install as mentioned above and I deliberately tried to recreate the issue and get a black screen - I assumed that issue was due to high usage of the graphic card (movie/video and gaming simultaneously) So I started two very intense games viewed on both screens - I just barely got through the loading screens before black screen.

I used Speccy to view my temperatures and although a temp issue seems to me to be the likely culprit - I have stable temp. CPU when in gaming fluctuates between but often somewhere in the middle of 60-70c and GPU is holding strong on 69-70. And since I made a clean driver unistall/install which had no issues or problems I've ruled out a driver issue.

I got my computer on Thursday, three blackscreens in 24 hours. 4th one was today and I was playing Arma 3 with no video or movies on the other screen only reddit. My fans were running in overdrive like I was still playing a demanding game but there was only darkness to display.

Here is the kicker: My previous computer had the same issue. Totally different computer.
    Intel I5 with a nvidia geforce 980 with 16GB DDR3 ram with win 10.
    Only real difference is the sound when blackscreen occurs usually disrupts and bugs out in repeat with weird noises like its lagging(hiccups basically). Biggest reason for me buying a new computer was due to this very issue - I want to be able to do view a movie/series and game simultaneously. Worth noting that sometimes the sound is functioning and I can even talk to my mate on discord while having black screen.

My new computer is fresh with little to no applications. I have a VPN which came with my Internet provider, I use Driver booster to install almost all drivers (expect windows update) Wireless headset which USB I removed when troubleshooting the third time (the one time I tried to recreate the issue) incase that was the issue somehow.

Worth noting Is that I normally have my saturation up considerably and I use High Performance mode my Power options. I never overclock anything expect for one of my screens (I have eliminated the possibility that me changing from 60 to 70Hz is the issue) since the issue happens regardless of screen Hz.

Its giving my anxiety that I cannot get a grip on this issue. I assume its something to do with the graphic card but so far I've manged to play very intensive games for hours with no issue. I've even managed to view series and movie while gaming with no issues.

I have tried two more times to recreate the issue exactly like the third time (starting two games) And I was able to play - It did not black screen after loading - The issue is very random and I can't recreate it at will.
    And why on earth does this brand new computer have the same issue as my previous one? I contacted my seller and he has never heard of this issue with his hardware before (he buys parts and builds computers like/similiar to mine as a small business owner) He suggested I give it few days if the issue persist we'll return the graphic card.

I have no more ideas, without an actual error message I am lost. I am so sorry for this wall of text, I am desperate.

2. Odin42

Odin42 Thread Starter

I am thinking my next step in trying to solve this is to play around with Radeon Wattman settings.
    Google tells me Increasing/decreasing the Power limit might be useful however I've never used a feature such as this - Anyone have a suggestion if this is worth pursuing and maybe what to tweak?

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I do not know WHICH actual Kolink 700watt you have but the PSU is cheap and unreliable to use in such a rig

I think the Core series is the entry level PSU from Kolink

I cannot comment on the previous computer having apparently the same problems except to say - if the ONLY common aspect is the mains supply outlet at your home or a surge connector then start by changing the surge connector or connect direct to the AC outlet

Going back to this setup see this
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-shuts-down-randomly.1235521/

not exactly the same problem but shows clearly that PSU`s of this standard are unreliable.

On a different note - Driver Booster had a bad habit like many other such programs of installing the wrong drivers.
    The only place to go for drivers is the motherboard site
    The MSI site
    or the respective site for other hardware

If you are using a third party AV then you should uninstall it and use the included Defender
    It is unlike many if not all third party AV programs 100% compatible with Windows 10 - 100% of the time.

In summary your first step is the checking of the AC line to the PSU and your second step, if all proves in order there, is to replace that PSU with a good quality one BEFORE you stand a good chance of damaging other components.

4. Odin42

Odin42 Thread Starter

The linked thread seems to have the same or very similar PSU, mine is named: Fractal design psu 700w - 80 plus. It certainly is a top suspect now - On this note, got a decent PSU for my setup to recommend?
    Driver booster downloading wrong drivers seems to me to be a likely candidate for issues also - Might want to make a clean windows install and try to only update that which is necessary and not everything possible.

I am using the standard Win 10 Defender so nothing to report on the AV front.

You know what, I use one power outlet which is connected to an outlet box with 6 occupied outlets which is also connected to another outlet box with 2/3 used outlets.
    Both of these outlet boxes are very old, if the outlet box is the issue then that will certainly explain why my other computer had the same issue. However if it was a power issue, would it not simply turn of the computer instead of just the screens while still running the fans like its compensating for a heating issue (which temperatures say could not be the case).

Another point of interest, I have never once updated my bios - Not even sure how to, could this be a factor?

And thank you kindly for your reply - Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Re the PSU depends on how much you can or want to spend
    The one in the link I sent is ideal
    Re the issue, as I said only mentioned that because you had the same problem, on the other computer
    It could still be that, a drop in power input to the PSU could cause all manner of problems

I would not at this stage consider a BIOS flash
    Your CPU has been supported since F1 the original release BIOS
    https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-B250-FinTech-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
    updates since then appear to have no relevance to your problem
    By that I mean there is not a BIOS update listed as anything connected with general system stability etc.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice