1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black screen no safe m ode

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by handselart, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handselart

handselart Thread Starter

Back here sooner than i wanted.
    last night I hit the sleep mode and now my Gateway laptop will not give me anything but a black screen. I try hitting F8 and get no safe mode. It powers up and down w the power button.
    I did have some luck at the suggestion of removing the battery and putting it back in. I was able to get the safe mode screen for just an instant but it would not start normally after.
    Yes, it is Vista.
    clues?
    Thank you very much.

2. handselart

handselart Thread Starter

I've had a breakthrough. Following all manner of threads on the web a fellow suggested pulling my battery out and putting it back. Doing this I was able then to hit the F8 key for safe mode and do a system recovery.
    Right now I want to create a complete back up before I do anything else. And I'll have to get a device to store that properly. Later.

Additionally, I just spent a week on this forum trying to correct my screen resolution. It had changed itself to 1280x720 and elongated all my images. I changed my resolution to 1280 x 800 and this was fixed, last night. Now after rescuing whatever was going on here I saw that the resolution had changed again. Is there a relationship that perhaps updating a driver can remedy? Gateway wanted me to re install the disk. Or does anyone have a clue that these issues may be related?
    Thanks for any and all help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice