1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen of Death: 0xc000000e Boot error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NZGirl, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Hi all,
    For the first time ever I've got a black screen, my Win 7 professional machine won't load. It's getting stuck on a black screen saying Windows Boot Manager. I can't do anything. I can't get it into safe mode (not that I would know what to do once in there anyway) and I don't have the installation disk.

The error code says Status: 0xc000000e Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

It was working last night. The only thing I did last night I can think of was took some photos off my old XP machine, put them onto an old USB stick (the only one the XP would recognise) and transferred them to the Win 7 desktop I use all the time. And before I did that I was also using my My Book external hardrive to look for lost photos (that I found on the XP). A couple of times the My Book wouldn't 'disconnect' properly and I just pulled it's USB cord out of the Win 7 machine....... ?? Maybe that is what has upset it ? I don't keep the My Book connected to the Win 7 machine. I use it purely to store photos on and disconnect it as soon as I've finished putting photos on it.

I've already tried googling this fault but I don't have the install disks and I don't know how to get into the Bios.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks.

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

We have to Know your complete specs,motherboard , is it a manufactured computer (like dell) or custom build ; ie exact MB, exact CPU, exact GPU, Monitor cable, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and mode/part# do that for ALL of your parts . To get into the BIOS is different from a Dell to a regular motherboard.

3. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Thanks Lynx . I plugged the My Book back into it and I have managed to get into what is I guess the Bios page?
    It's called HP Computer Set Up

It's got: File-Storage-Security-Power-Advanced running across the top and then different options underneath each of those headings.

Under File one of the options is Default Setup ? should I click this?

Under Storage it's got: Device configeration- Storage options- DPS Self Test- Boot Order or should I try one of these first.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

It is possible the boot order got changed, make sure it is booting from "c" the internal hard drive. All I know now is that it is an HP computer, What model #?
    Most HP's push F1 or F10 repeatedly while booting.
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  5. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Thanks Lynx, I tried various things in the bios page. Nothing worked. On a NZ tech site I've been advised the hard drive is dying and unfortunately I think that is correct. I've managed to buy a re-furbished computer so when that arrives I will attempt to get my files off the dying hard drive and onto the new machine. It was cheaper to buy a whole other computer (win 10) than get professional computer staff to look at my old one and maybe fix it.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

Yes, it is possible your hard drive is dying. causing the boot error. You can install the drive in the refurbished computer as a slave and copy your files (not programs) to the main drive into new folders. Earlier this year I had a case of "windows 7 ROT', the windows 7 installation was about 8 years old and I tried every thing to repair it to no avail. Ended up buying a new hard drive and installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on it and moved my doc, music and video files to it. Luckily I had most of my programs with registration codes stored on USB drive, I was even able to clone my wife's POP3 email using a Firefox backup program.

7. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Thanks Lynx, I have my files (photos) mostly backed up on a 1 TB My Book. But loosing my Photography editing programmes: DXO Pro Optics 11 (gift sub) really hurts. I don't know if I can use the gift code again.... because I don't understand how it all works.... why can't I get my programmes also off the hard drive? Would you possibly be able to send me the link to the firefox back up programme to get my emails back? I use Pop3 too via Thunderbird and Firefox is my browser. Dee :)

8. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Hi again Lynx, I found some details from an old post I did here on what my dead computer's specs are. If I am wrong and the hard drive isn't actually dying, I'd be thrilled to get it going again.... just to make sure I have EVERYTHING off it that I can get off it. But it now has 20GB of Ram in it. I brought two 8 GB sticks of brand new ram (computer shop put it in for me) and kept the 4 that it already had in it. I needed the extra ram for intense photo editing I was doing.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4038 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 297 GB (201 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 339A
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice