1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen of death when I log in

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by exquemelin, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exquemelin

exquemelin Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm running vista sp1 on an alienware m9750 laptop. Until recently I've had no problems with it, but this past week I've been having a strange problem. After logging on, vista fades into a black screen with a mouse pointer and nothing else.

Strangely ctrl-alt-delete still works and I can bring up the task manager and go back to the login screen as normal, though I can't seem to start any programs from the task manager like some other black screen sufferers have done.

I can log in normally if I restart the machine a couple of times. The only other thing I've noticed is that when the problem occurs there is a lot more disk activity when I log in or shut down.

I've investigated some of the many "black screen of death" reports on the net, but none of the solutions they propose seem relevant to my problem (being instructed to change registry keys back to default values, when mine are normal. etc).

I've tried doing a system restore and it did nothing except screw up some of my program installations.

I'd appreciate any information that could help.

Thanks,
    Exquemelin

2. joeten

joeten

3. exquemelin

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, I ran SFC and it told me there was a problem with config.sys ( I can't believe vista still has a config.sys!) which it then fixed. Then I ran checkdisk which told me all is well.

So far, the problem hasn't recurred, but I don't know if it's been fixed or not.

Thanks again for your help,
    Exquemelin

4. joeten

joeten

hi it should have sorted it so hopefully your sorted. your welcome

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    One of the signs of not installing the Windows Genuine updates and having a bad copy of the OS, is a BLACK screen on login.

You might try a different user login, if you need to, make another user account.

Did this machine come from the OEM with Vista?

6. exquemelin

Hi,
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. And yes the laptop came with vista pre-installed, along with a recovery CD.

Cheers,
    Exquemelin

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/834294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice