1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JakeNewman, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeNewman

JakeNewman Thread Starter

First Specs:
    Acer Laptop Aspire 5610-4491
    Windows Vista Home

----

I'm getting the Black screen of death and I did a lot of googling trying to pin down what was wrong. Let me explain what is happening and what I've done so far.

Problem:
    -When the laptop starts it'll load pass the Windows Vista scrolling bar then stops with the black screen and a cursor.

Tried so far:
    -I am able to get into the laptop with all the different types of safe modes.
    -I've cleaned the system with anti-viruses, checked the regedit to make sure the windows nt policy was correct.
    -Turned off and uninstalled all newly installed software.
    -Used chkdsk, sfc /scannow.
    -Uninstalled and reinstalled display drivers.
    -On the black screen pressing ctrl+alt+del won't bring up the task menu, or the shift five times trick does nothing either.
    -Nothing in the usb ports.
    -No disc in the cd/dvd drive.

I am willing to do a system recovery but I am unable to access the recovery partition on the hard drive -there is no recovery disc, it's pre-loaded. There is no option to reinstall, and there is no option for repair, or no option for boot logging.

I'm sure it's a driver somewhere but I have no way to figure out which one. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why are you unable to access the recovery partition?

What display drivers are they? Have you ininstalled the display drivers and then rebooted?

3. JakeNewman

JakeNewman Thread Starter

I have no idea why I am unable to to access the recovery partition.

The drivers on the acer site and yes I rebooted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice