1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Reaper004, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reaper004

Reaper004 Thread Starter

I have a Windows Vista SP1 64-bit with 8GB RAM and 2 ATi Radeon 3850's CrossFireX; Anyways, I have a program called System Mechanics, you've all probably heard of it before, it's a great program for cleaning up your hard drive and defragging your memory. However, I ran it last night and told the program to automatically restart the computer when it was finished, after it finished and restarted I was greeted with the atrocious Black Screen of Death with a Cursor though it isn't blinking and I can move it freely, however there's nothing I can do with it considering the bottom task-bar is nonexistent and the entire screen is black.

I've tried some of the solutions, I can't even do the CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get into the Task Manager and manually start explorer.exe; Help me please. The only sort of reaction I can get from the system is to get Stick Keys to pop-up when I hit the shift-key five times. I am very confused. I have no external Hard Drives hooked up to it and there are no thumb-drives connected via USB either. I'm a thoroughly stumped here. Please help me.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Reaper004

Reaper004 Thread Starter

i can't get into Safe Mode, when I try the black screen with cursor appears just as if I tried to boot it normally. I know what the issue is, Windows Explorer isn't running automatically when Windows boots up, however since I cannot CTRL ALT DELETE i can't activate it myself manually.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice