1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OOOOOO8, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OOOOOO8

OOOOOO8 Thread Starter

"
    MainBoard: K7VMM+
    Bios: AMIBIOS Version 7.1a
    Chipset: VIA KM266 & VT8235

I have a black screen - and its death!
    I have built a new system arround a K7VMM+ main board. But when I turn on the computer I get a blank screen.

I have tried to reset the bios using the jumper (JP2), and doing so after removing the batery. I have also tried holding down the Page Up key before I switch the machine on (and also the Insert key).

I am using an Athlon 2000+ processor, but have also tried a 2200+ and 2400+ processor. I am using 256MB of PC2100 RAM.

I can not boot up, or go into the BIOS. There is nothing on the screen at all. The power works fine to other devices (fan turns, power to the Hard Drive), and the entire system works with a different main board. ie all components work except the main board. The monitor and keyboard are also working.

I think there is a problem with the BIOS. Is there some way to reset to the default settings, that I have missed. I have tried everything that I can think of, without any succcess.

Any bright ideas welcome,

"

2. stod73

stod73

Have you checked all your connections (monitor, video card, etc.)? Can you confirm the monitor is working?

3. akita

akita

i would hazard a guess... it's the video card. unplug and try reseating it...
    any probs come back...

4. akita

akita

you can clear bios by the jumpers on mobo...look in manual to see the location of the correct jumper...

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure you are using a compatible CPU:
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/techcpu/athlonxp.htm
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/techcpu/athlon.htm

Step one is to double check all the jumpers. There are likely jumpers for a the Front Side Bus (FSB) and the multiplier if those exist. Try a lower FSB if you can. Also most of these ECS Boards that take either SDR and DDR have a jumper to select the right RAM type between the slots. Make sure its set for DDR.

Next would be do build the computer outside the case with one RAM, video, CPU.

6. OOOOOO8

OOOOOO8 Thread Starter

The monitor is working ok, and the main board uses a built in graphics card. And I did try using another graphics card, well 2 actually (an AGP4 and a PCI).

I had this happen with other computers, but resetting the CMOS using the jumper, taking out the batery, and holding down some key (Page UP, or Del, or Insert) and turning the system on again usually works.

It's got me good this time though!

Cheers for the effort,

7. akita

akita

ok i have looked at your original question again ... what is your psu ?

8. OOOOOO8

OOOOOO8 Thread Starter

PSU is fine. Besides I did try 2 other PSU's, and test the original on a similar system. Everything is new, and working except the RAM. The 2 additional PSUs I tried are 300W and 450W (both new). The one in the main unit is a 350W. So there is no power issue.

I have looked for additional junpers on the board, but the only 2 sets that matter are the CMOS and the bus 133 or 100. I have tried both the default and 133 bus speeds, but there was no difference. It is now at the default 100.

The links to the manufactures site dont actually include this motherboard. The neerest one seems to suggest that the processors I have tried should work. Assuming they are quoting maximum processor speeds.
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/techcpu/athlonxp.htm
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/techcpu/athlon.htm

Thanks again for the effort,

9. OOOOOO8

OOOOOO8 Thread Starter

Sorry, Everything is new, and working except the Motherboard. RAM is new and working too.

10. OOOOOO8

OOOOOO8 Thread Starter

It turned out that the BIOS was dead.

Just goes to show you, if you try everything and you cant get it to work, then it may actually be broken, even if it is new!

The replacement worked a treat :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/160551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice