1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen Of Death!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hillian, Dec 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

This is not on my pc directly but it is on my uncle's laptop. He starts the computer and windows loads but right as soon as the window loading screen goes away the screen is all black its as if there is no video card enabled. we have also tried plugging in his monitor from his desktop since he has a laptop connector that allows you to hook a monitor up and display whatever is on the labtop. You can't navigate anything or anything liek that. Any Suggestions? :p

2. natcom

natcom

can you press F8 3/4 times as soon as you start the computer to get to the boot menu
    those anything come up ? if so click Last Known Good Configuration

3. dai

dai

if that does'nt work see what you get when you select vga mode

4. eskimo_socks

eskimo_socks

I've had this happen a few times in 2000 when changing monitors (groan) and graphics drivers. You prolly need to start in VGA mode as described before, uninstall the video drivers, reinstall and restart.

5. eskimo_socks

eskimo_socks

I've had this happen a few times in 2000 when changing monitors (groan) and graphics drivers. You prolly need to start in VGA mode as described before, uninstall the video drivers, reinstall and restart.

6. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

he has windows xp home edition and its on a labtop the pc maker is Averatec and we tried contacting therm via there toll free number but no luck yetand when i press F8 nuttin happens i have tried to start it in safe mode and it just freezes and then i try to start in in the last good known configuration and they dont work either(it loads the windows screen and then goes black like its been doing)anymore suggestions?

7. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

how would i go about startting in VGA mode its not an option in the setup(boot options) and not a option in the safe nmode area either

8. natcom

natcom

to start on VGA mode on safe mode or normal mode click on start run type msconfig click on the boot.ini tab then check the box for /BASEVIDEO un check the box when you done

9. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

thats the problem my friend...i cant see my desktop the screen is black....it shows the windows loading screen but then it goes black.....

10. natcom

natcom

but if you cant login to safe mode this is not goin to work do you have your windows xp cd not the restore cd that some pc come with ?

11. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

he says his restore disc is at school hes home for another 2 weeks from college

12. natcom

natcom

do you have another computer in the house ?

13. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

he does have a desktop....why do you ask?

14. natcom

natcom

well you can take out the drive on the damage computer and set the jumper to slave and put it on the good computer and run some virus scan on the damage computer drive

15. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

but ones a labtop(the problem) and he dotn have another labtop or anything

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/311662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice