1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen of death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reubeniz, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reubeniz

reubeniz Thread Starter

Ok not sure what up but having tryed two hardrives makes me think its not a software issue.

And im stuck as the machine wont boot. Hee is the story so far.

It had been months since id been on the internet so yesterday I updated and i ran S&D, AVG, AdAware, and updated Zone alarm from 5.5 to 6 and all was well.

I left my machine running over night, it was still running in the morning but soon after turned itself off.

Now when i turn it on it give me the same error message box, twice. ( after booting into windows )

" Validation failed for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VSINIT.dll. Your probably missing nessassary root certificate. "

I didnt go any further and fist tryed rebooting it a couple of times

sometimes the menue apears transparent and sometimes it seems ok and lauches programms no prob.

but each time the same message comes up twice.

i also tryed system restore to an earler time, same message.

also tryed doing a repair from the Windows XP Pro cd, then i get this message

" file \i386\vgaoem.fon could not be loaded. The error code is 32768 set up cant continue. "

Now this gets me worried and after a search i get different solusions, some alien to me and some conflicting; the only one i tried is

at RUN typing sfc/scannow but windows cant find it.

Now im lost and concerned, any help much apreachated. thanks in advance

The commnad is sfc /scannow . notice the space after c and before / . .

if i can get the thing to boot, ive tryed 5-6 times and it just hangs on a black screen, no post. I ve changed the power supply; the same thing. the hard drive tryes to start and sounds like it stops. How can i tell if the hardrive has gone, if i cant boot and i have no other hardrive?

3 have failed on me in the past year and a bit so i wouldnt be suprised if its happend again. but this time i have no spare.

ps ill give it another go tommorow after it ( and me ) have cooled down

Still no joy.

Have found and replaced the hardrive but still it doesnt post or beep or even give the monitor the green light. Just a black screen

The the harddrive bigins to whirl then stops.

i reset the cmos batery. still nothing. I did this as i remember it saying at boot something about the cmos being reset then something being updated then i noticed when it did boot the clock was 2002.

But as ive now tried two harddrives im lost.

Has this now become a hardware problem and should i post it to the hard ware section?

Any ideas

2. reubeniz

reubeniz Thread Starter

Oops just noticed a similer post

http://forums.techguy.org/t403989.html

but have changed the power supply, so this means its got to be the mother board, as the caps lock does not light up?

and if i have to buy a new mother board what do you recomend as this one has only lasted a year and the one previous 2 years.

im using an
    asus a7n8x delux
    2400 amd

the asus board go good reviews but what is the best and most reliable board out there that will take an amd 2400?

The strange thing is it happend soon after the zone alarm update also. and the error message i got suggests that others have had trouble with it but found no answer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/405955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice