1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen Of Death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mastersergeant07, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mastersergeant07

mastersergeant07 Thread Starter

What's Up,

I was doing some homework on my desktop when all of a sudden the screen went black. I tried holding the power button down to see if that would shut it down but it didn't work. I unplugged it from the wall for 5mins and that didn't work either. The system is only 1 year and 1/2 old. I called and talked with the geek squad and they are wanting to charge me $100 just to look at it. A buddy of mine told me that my video card may need replacing. I have a Gateway GT4010; 1G RAM. Hawaii is very expensive, Help?:(

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So what happens when you plug it back in? I assume nothing on the screen but do any of the fans spin up, any beeps, or lights? It could be the video card but the base unit came with integrated graphics so unless you've added a separate video card to the unit the fault would go to the motherboard or RAM. You could try reseating the memory or trying one stick at a time - I suspect the system came with two sticks of memory. Another strong possibility is that the power supply has partially failed. Do you have access to another power supply that you could try?

3. mastersergeant07

The fan comes on but then a no signal box pops up in the center of the screen and nothing else happens. The fan stays running.

4. gemgrl6581

gemgrl6581

I have the same computer and this problem is happening to me. From what I understand.. these comps were apparently designed to last until right after warranty expires. Sometimes I have no power at all it's just dead. Others... The fan runs constantly whether I press power or not. Lets stay in touch and help eachother if we get the answer, if you don't mind. My post is just below yours.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd try another power supply, thats a common component that fails in eMachine and Gateway systems.

6. gemgrl6581

gemgrl6581

Would the power supply make the fan run endlessly when plugged in sometimes?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, it could.

Really it could be a lot of things but you have to start somewhere.

8. mastersergeant07

I'm changing out the video card and I'm hoping that might solve the problem.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have integrated video? If so you might have had to connect the monitor to the integrated video and then change the BIOS setting to an Add-in card. Since you have no display with either card then I suspect thats not the problem.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/627897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice