1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black screen of death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deathcells, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathcells

deathcells Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

i think i have probably made a noob mistake somewhere along the line but i am now very worried about what i might have done to my PC.

I bought a second hand cpu off ebay and the seller had 100% rating so i wasnt worried untill i received the cpu. i opened the parcel to find the chip loose in an envelope with just the plastic casing. no bubblewrap or any protection around it. i cant think of the beating it must have taken in the mail. then i see 2pins in the corner were slightly bent, so i get out the magnifying glass and a tiny pair of pliers and i bend them straight and it slips nicely into place and i lock it down, apply thermal paste and afix a new HSF unit i bought to match the jump in temp of the newer CPU. i boot her up to see nothing but a black screen.

NOW im seriously worried. i do a bit of googling and find i should reset my CMOS. i do that, remove the battery, take out all but one stick of RAM, hold PAGE UP during boot, i tried everything to get into BIOS at least !!! to no avail :(

so now im sorely disappointed i think i may aswell put my old CPU back in. I do so, reapply thermal paste but put the new HSF unit on, thinking ' at least i have a better HSF now'.
    You guessed it !! my old CPU won't boot either now !! so i reset the CMOS again and take out the battery but it's just not happening everything i try is in vain and i am scared i have lost my 'other girlfriend' I am hoping this problem doesnt have any affect on my hard drives.

Is there something elementary i have overlooked here? or any troubleshooting you guys can recommend ? or does it sound like both CPU's are now fried ??
    Thanks so much, i apppreciate any advice

2. deathcells

deathcells Thread Starter

if anyone comes across this. do not worry i have pretty much assumed that i fried my motherboard. i am buying a new setup :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice