1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black screen of death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dvdndh, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dvdndh

dvdndh Thread Starter

my daughters laptop has developed the dreaded black screen,it wont boot in safe mode,wont boot from a recovery disc & none of the F keys work.....there is no screen loading at all,just black...any ideas?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When first turned on, are you getting anything on the monitor or is it still just a blank black screen? This sounds more like a hardware problem than a windows problem. You would get quicker responses to this problem by requsting a moderator to move this to the hardware forum. In the meantime, ensure that the Power cord is plugged in fully, then try to start it with the battery removed.

3. dvdndh

dvdndh Thread Starter

nope..nothing on the monitor at all just lights & cd drive noises, have tried the power cord already & am going to try without the battery now

4. dvdndh

dvdndh Thread Starter

btw....battery or no battery ...still the same :(

5. dvdndh

dvdndh Thread Starter

my daughters laptop has developed the dreaded black screen,it wont boot in safe mode,wont boot from a recovery disc & none of the F keys work.....there is no screen loading at all,just black...any ideas? it has been suggested this is a hardware problem rather than a windows issue...nothing loads on the screen, the cd drive makes the usual noises & the fans come on, but nothing else....help :confused:

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What model number Toshiba is this?

7. dvdndh

dvdndh Thread Starter

its a presario CQ61 & i've just noticed its turned itself off with the battery out & the power lead in, power lead broke? because it stays on forever with the battery in

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    im going to say that it sounds like the harddrive or motherboard or both has died or is dying.hope this helps.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It could well be. Is this laptop still under warranty? If so I would contact HP/Compaq about a warranty repair. does the connector that plugs into the laptop feel loose or wobbly when it is plugged in?

10. ZlTechExpert

ZlTechExpert Banned

I agree we need some more information... Do you get any type of screen at all? or is it when your just trying to open up windows.

11. dvdndh

dvdndh Thread Starter

no its not under warranty... my stuff never breaks till its out ...no screen at all, just blackness... the lead doesn't feel dodgy,but seems strange how it turned off so quickly, the laptop was working fine yesterday & no software has been changed since... cant say for windows updates though...

12. ZlTechExpert

ZlTechExpert Banned

I would say if you get no startup screen at all... It does sound more like a bad screen... than motherboard..

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    How are you determining that windows is loading if you have no display? Do you hear the normal windows start up sounds like the music when it normally reaches the desktop. Or is it because you hear a fan turning on, a few lights lighting on the keyboard?

Have you tried connecting an external monitor to the laptop?

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    dvdndh, I have requested a mod to merge both of your threads about this problem into one.

15. dvdndh

dvdndh Thread Starter

hmmm, I'm just presuming windows is trying to load....obviously not successfully, could be the screen ,but there is no windows sound either which makes me think the screen is ok and it is a different issue,as you say its hard to know what is loading with no display ,most of the other posts i've read about black screen have the windows icon or startup screen appear ,as its not a machine that i use myself I can also only take my daughters word that nothing has happened to it since it last worked as well

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/999133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice