1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen on boot after uninstalling display driver.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ketsujo, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ketsujo

Ketsujo Thread Starter

Hey, guys--I need some urgent help. A friend of mine has been having trouble with her laptop's display driver, and to make a long story short, she uninstalled (intending to reinstall it since the driver was apparently fully up-to-date.) and got a black screen, forcing her to turn her computer off. Now she'll try to boot it up but the screen will remain black, we've tried:

Unplugging it and the battery and holding the power down for 30-60 seconds to no avail.

I assumed that it may still be loading everything up--just not displaying it, so I told her to hold down F8 and press down 6 times and enter to boot from the last known safe configuration, but when she held down F8 the computer didn't beep like it usually would opening up that prompt--and we weren't able (We don't think?) to boot from that.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do--she's a college student, so her laptop is of vital importance, I need to try and help her resolve this ASAP. I'm giving her instructions over the phone.

She can turn the laptop on and the power lights all come on, we just can't see anything--if we did manage to get to the F8 menu we weren't able to see it. We're basically flying blind, and her computer didn't come with any sort of installation discs--even so, she needs the files stored on her computer. If anyone can offer any assistance as to how to restore her display, you'd be saving us both a lot of grief.

Thank you so much in advance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The display driver has nothing to do with the display until after Windows loads. If the screen is black at boot and no way is present to enter BIOS, then the problem is hardware.

The files can be recovered by removing that hard drive and placing it in another computer or external USB enclosure.

3. Ketsujo

Ketsujo Thread Starter

That's great to know--if we were somehow able to get the computer to turn on, would a system recovery be beneficial at all? If not, what would be the cheapest way to go about fixing it without having to buy a new computer?

Thanks again.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Again, if there is absolutely nothing on the screen, even before Windows starts to load, it is a hardware problem and cannot be fixed in any way with software. It may require a new screen, or at worst, a new machine.

But there really must be more to this story. Simply uninstalling a driver could not do this. I suggest you do some probing about possible drops or other trauma the machine may have endured.

Also, it's a long shot, but the Fn keys can shut off the display and turn on an external display. Make sure that those didn't get pressed by accident. It is usually Fn+(some key along the top with a monitor on it).

5. Ketsujo

Ketsujo Thread Starter

Hah.. I thought so, I just hate having to tell her that it's a hardware issue when finances are tough. Thanks again, Elvandil. We'll look into it more.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try playing with those keys. It's possible that in a panic, someone pressed them and shut the screen down.

If you get to the point where you can see something, come back and we'll take it from there.:D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice