Black screen on boot!!!??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ej

Hi, I just installed winxp pro on my desktop, everything was working fine, it downloaded 5 auto updates, then I needed to leave so I went to shut it down. I waited until it was finished installing the 5 updates it had gotten at that point, until it told me it was now safe to turn off the pc. When I boot it up now I just get a black screen that says BIOS Ver3.2 thats it! I can't get into safe mode or anything, help!:confused:

tony007

Banned
You could try this, You can do the BIOS reset--not update, reset to default--without video. Forget the screens and all that, just do the keystrokes and the counting. Print this out for reference, or just write it down.

Remove all media from floppy and optical drives.

Turn on the computer, and as soon as the keyboard lights come on,press F!.

Count to 10.

Press F5.

Press Enter.

Count to 10.

Press F10.

Press enter.

If this worked you'll know right away

ej

HA!! I got lucky! I decided to think on it a bit, maybe let it completely cool down, (it is an old pc) went for a walk, came back and rebooted....everythings fine!!! LOL Thanks everybody for your responses!

tony007

Banned
I have done that before shut downs can fix a lot of problems, but if it happens again if its a overheating problem you will have to try and find out whatt is overheating.

ej

AGH! problem is back, my wireless mouse battery went dead, so I disconnected it and suddenly got a blue screen and loud beep, had to turn it off. It came up with the black bios ver 3.2 screen again. Does that mean its the bios then? I have flashed a bios before, but doesn't this sound like a driver issue???

ej

tony007 said:
What was your previous operating system?
I installed xp pro over win98se, I had formatted the two hard drives and did a clean install of win98se, then decided to put on xp pro because of networking issues

If a long cool down will let it return to normal, sounds like you need to open the case and clean out the fans, cooling vents, cooling fins, etc. I wouldn't fool with the BIOS update at all. Give it a good cleaning first, then go from there.

The fact that your seeing the BIOS version means that it's going through POST successfully. The fact that it won't go any farther unless it's had a long downtime sounds like heat.

ej

I don't think its that, the girl I'm fixing it for left it for an hour and it still hangs at the black bios screen.:confused:

ej

I did open the case before installing it and used the canned air and cleaned it up good

ej

is there a command to scan check the drivers? Although I don't know how I'll get to the command prompt

ej

well, now I get this instead of the bios msg: nmi:parity check/memory parity error the system has halted (on a blue screen). I have 320 mb ram and 2 hard drives, any clue?

ej

I hope not, rams not old, I'm getting it back tomorrow, I'll run a memory test, if I can get back to the operating system!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online