1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen On Bootup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AZAZ3L, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AZAZ3L

AZAZ3L Thread Starter

Hello, I have been having this problem off and on for about 2weeks here are my PC specs

700mhz Duron
    x1 128meg 100mhz SDRAM Compaq Generic Ram
    x1 128meg 133mhz SDRAM Crucial
    40gig Seagate 7,200 RPM 100 ATA Harddrive 2months Old
    Geforce 2 Titanium 64meg DDR AGP4x Card 1yr Old
    Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 Motherboard

My problem is 75% of the time when I bootup My screen wont turn on, or when I am on the PC about 2-5mins into it running the Screen will go black, I no its not the monitor because I tryed using a brandnew monitor with the PC and the exact thing will happen, the tricky thing about this problem is that if I take out the memory and mix up what slots they are in or take out one and just leave in one, the pc will boot and I can use it, sometimes not, I dont think its my graphics card cause it doesnt get hot, and its only a year old, and sometimes the PC will bootup and then the screen will go black and ill get the monitor will display Unrecognizable Frequency this is rarely though. As I am typing this the pc has been running for about 10 mins and hasnt blacked out on me, I also dont think this is a Graphics Card problem cause once when it blacked out and I was listening to an MP3 the song stopped and kept repeating the last second over and over, I also dont believe that the processor is the problem because of the Ram Swaps work to turn it back on most of the time, and also the processor never gets hot, and even if I leave the computer off for a day in a cold room it still wont turn on, but if i swap the memory slots it will, I am stumped, I dont understand how it can work one day for long periods of time over 20hrs and next day wont work for 5mins at a time if at all. Any help or direction would be most welcome thx much.

2. Nothingface

Nothingface

This sounds like a graphics problem. Even if the card doesn't get hot, it can still be damaged. I suggest try a different video card, and see if the problem still happens. Also, I see that you have 133 and 100 ram mixed in. This could contribute to the problem, but I doubt it. Leave in one stick of ram for a while and see if the problem happens. Then swap it with the other one. You gotta try everything. If you have onboard video, try it with that.

3. AZAZ3L

AZAZ3L Thread Starter

I have done the swapping thing many times, right now it has been running for about 12hrs with both sticks in, I still need to swap graphics cards but I dont see how it can work for so long and then not work for 5mins.

4. AZAZ3L

AZAZ3L Thread Starter

about 13hrs of it running and the screen went black, took out a ram stick and left the other in without removing graphics card rebooted and it worked, please any information on this would help.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've seen this type of problem twice. First case was a bad powersupply, second was a bad motherboard (maybe a damaged cpu as well, but ended up scraping the system so not sure). the problem has little to do with overheating, just faulty hardware. But it could very well be a bad video card as well. If possible start swapping until the problem goes away. Trying running on only one piece of memory while swapping (could be a combinition of two things too).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice